Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/04 18:13:10 UTC

Commit and contribution workflows (Was: Cordova-Android now up-to-date in the ASF Git Repo)

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Viras <vi...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> just to clarify: should I commit to github or to some apache git repository?

All Cordova committers should ideally push directly to the Cordova
repositories at git-wip-us.apache.org.

We can set up mirrors of those repositories on Github or elsewhere,
but for finely grained audit logs for code provenance the repositories
on Apache servers should be the primary push target. As soon as we are
happy with the functionality of the git-wip-us repositories, the
existing github.com/callback and github.com/cordova spaces should be
discontinued.

Contributors that are not yet Cordova committers can push their
changes to their personal clones on Github and send a pull request by
email to callback-dev@ (to be renamed) or to the appropriate CB issue.
The git-svn repositories mirrored at github.com/apache already support
automatic forwarding of pull request notifications to the respective
dev@ lists, so we could set up something similar also for Cordova if
there's interest. And of course changes can also be submitted as
normal patches even without any Git push/pull workflows.

It would be great if the Cordova community came up with a wiki or web
page that outlines the recommended contribution workflow.

Once a contributor has submitted enough good patches, he or she should
be granted Cordova committership and thus direct push access to the
Cordova repositories on git-wip-us.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Commit and contribution workflows (Was: Cordova-Android now up-to-date in the ASF Git Repo)

Posted by Viras <vi...@users.sourceforge.net>.
No need to worry - I just wanted to make sure that I understand the
workflow correctly!

Best,
Wolfgang

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Viras <vi...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
WE'll need an Apache-blessed wiki I guess?

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
>The git-svn repositories mirrored at github.com/apache already support
>automatic forwarding of pull request notifications to the respective
>dev@ lists, so we could set up something similar also for Cordova if
>there's interest. And of course changes can also be submitted as
>normal patches even without any Git push/pull workflows.

This sounds like the best solution. This way we don't have to give up the
simplicity of GitHub for getting contributions from non-committers, but
can still stay almost completely within Apache infrastructure for
day-to-day development. Also makes sense to have it under the Apache
organization on GitHub...