Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Romain Francois <ro...@purrple.cat> on 2018/03/13 09:45:43 UTC

gReetings

Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself here. I’m Romain François, mostly involved in making tools for R. My track record includes being an author of Rcpp and dplyr.

I will be working with Wes’s guidance on making an R front end for arrow. Initially that means going through the C++ api and perhaps see how things have been implemented in the python front end. For the foreseeable future, I’ll be spending Tuesdays on this. Some words from last week.
https://purrple.cat/blog/2018/03/07/arrow-rrrow-rcher-spurrrow/ <https://purrple.cat/blog/2018/03/07/arrow-rrrow-rcher-spurrrow/>

Are there any resources that could be relevant, e.g. some document about how another front end was made ?
Are there other R people here ?

Regards,

Romain

Re: gReetings

Posted by Brian Hulette <br...@ccri.com>.
If you prefer slack over (or in addition to) the mailing list there's
also the Arrow slack. We recently made a #javascript channel there for
discussions about that implementation, you could certainly do the same
for R.

[1] https://apachearrow.slack.com
[2] https://apachearrowslackin.herokuapp.com/ (auto-invite link)

Re: gReetings

Posted by Romain Francois <ro...@purrple.cat>.
Sounds great.

Re: gReetings

Posted by Aneesh Karve <an...@quiltdata.io>.

Re: gReetings

Posted by Romain François <ro...@purrple.cat>.
That sounds interesting, i am open to join yet another slack team.

The way I structure my time these days, I dedicate one day a week to the r arrow front end. Right now this is tuesdays.

I have other strong commitment for other open projects on mondays and fridays, and I keep the two other days for miscellaneous projects mostly around R, my aim is to community fund these two days, hence my patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/romainfrancois

Even though I might do arrow things outside of tuesdays, this is a much weaker « might ». Just trying to manage expectations about my time ...

Romain

Re: gReetings

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
For more about this, please see the Project Management and Collaboration
section in:

https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

On Mar 14, 2018 1:30 PM, "Aneesh Karve" <an...@quiltdata.io> wrote:

Makes sense. I'll direct interested parties to this list.
ᐧ

Re: gReetings

Posted by Aneesh Karve <an...@quiltdata.io>.

Re: gReetings

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi Aneesh

Re: gReetings

Posted by Aneesh Karve <an...@quiltdata.io>.
Hi Romain,

Re: gReetings

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
> Do I have push rights to the main repo?

No -- see the committer / PMC list here:
http://arrow.apache.org/committers/. The PMC periodically will add new
committers based on their contributions to the project (see
https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles). For the
time being I will help with reviewing and merging R-related patches.
Note that reviewing code is also "contributing" so others interested
in R are welcome to help with code / design review also.

Thanks!

Re: gReetings

Posted by Romain François <ro...@purrple.cat>.

Re: gReetings