Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/25 02:47:19 UTC

Svnpubsub for dist archives

I propose to start working on setting up svnpubsub for dist/ archives,
i.e. releases. This is an infra requirement which has to be done by
the start of next year.

First stage is to create the dev and release SVN trees under

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/

and get commit messages sent to the appropriate mailing list.

I assume that the most suitable list is:

commits@hc.a.o

which is where all the other commits go.

Finally we ask Infra to enable svnpubsub; after that point all
releases will need to be done via the dist SVN repo.

I suggest that svnpubsub is only enabled after the current release
votes are completed, but the SVN directories and mailing lists can be
set up now.

The idea is that release candidates are uploaded to the staging area

dev/httpcomponents/

for review; once the vote passes the files are renamed to

release/httpcomponents/

This can be done with individual SVN commands, but it is much better
to use svnmucc which can move all the files in a single transaction.

I hope to be able to create a script to generate the svnmucc command
list from Maven pom and assembly files but if not it's not too
difficult to create the commands by hand.

This will require a minor change to the release vote process.
The files need to be uploaded to the new shared staging area, not
individual user home directories. And the publish process will require
using SVN rather than copy, but it can be done without needing to
login to people.

Re: Svnpubsub for dist archives

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 24 March 2013 13:19, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 22:34 +0000, sebb wrote:

> Maybe I am just having a bad day here but this whole idea of using svn
> for just about anything seem, well, questionable. It turned out svnmucc
> thing did not support wildcard expansion, which makes it next to
> useless. That basically means that over a dozen distribution files (zip,
> gz, asc, md5) have to be moved individually one by one. While this
> theoretically could be scripted it just made already painful release
> process much more painful.

Which is why I wrote that I hoped to create a way to do this automatically.
I did this for JMeter, but we use Ant which gives us more control over
how files are created.
Maven hides the created file names in the assembly descriptors and elsewhere.

We have no choice over using SVN for releasing files; that is mandated by Infra.
So we just need to find ways to make the process as simple and
error-free as possible.

There are some advantages to using SVN/svnpubsub:
- immediate publication to the mirror
- traceability of files from RC vote to release directory if one uses
the dev/ tree for RC staging.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 25 November 2012 14:14, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 01:47 +0000, sebb wrote:
>> I propose to start working on setting up svnpubsub for dist/ archives,
>> i.e. releases. This is an infra requirement which has to be done by
>> the start of next year.
>>
>> First stage is to create the dev and release SVN trees under
>>
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/
>>
>> and get commit messages sent to the appropriate mailing list.
>>
>> I assume that the most suitable list is:
>>
>> commits@hc.a.o
>>
>> which is where all the other commits go.
>>
>> Finally we ask Infra to enable svnpubsub; after that point all
>> releases will need to be done via the dist SVN repo.
>>
>> I suggest that svnpubsub is only enabled after the current release
>> votes are completed, but the SVN directories and mailing lists can be
>> set up now.
>>
>> The idea is that release candidates are uploaded to the staging area
>>
>> dev/httpcomponents/
>>
>> for review; once the vote passes the files are renamed to
>>
>> release/httpcomponents/
>>
>> This can be done with individual SVN commands, but it is much better
>> to use svnmucc which can move all the files in a single transaction.
>>
>> I hope to be able to create a script to generate the svnmucc command
>> list from Maven pom and assembly files but if not it's not too
>> difficult to create the commands by hand.
>>
>> This will require a minor change to the release vote process.
>> The files need to be uploaded to the new shared staging area, not
>> individual user home directories. And the publish process will require
>> using SVN rather than copy, but it can be done without needing to
>> login to people.
>>

> Sebastian
>
> I am aware we have to migrate our web site content generation to
> svnpubsub. I was planning to work on it over Christmas (western style).
> I had no idea dist archives had to be migrated as well. Probably both
> migrations should be carried out at the same time.

I don't think there's any need to co-ordinate the changes.

> If possible, I would like to have two more releases (HttpClient 4.2.3
> and HttpClient 4.3-alpha1) with the old release process simply to avoid
> unnecessary delays due to administrative or organizational issues. Once
> HttpCore and HttpClient 4.3a1 are out and available for review by a
> larger community we could concentrate on re-aligning our release process
> with the ASF policies. I hope you'll agree.

The change to the dist processing is much simpler than the potential
changes needed to support svnpubsub for the site.
Also, I won't be able to work on either over Christmas.

However, if you don't want to enable svnpubsub for dist archives until
later that's OK by me as you are generally the RM.

> However, preparatory work such as requesting SVN directories and setting
> up mailing lists could be started immediately and done in parallel with
> getting HttpClient 4.3a1 released.

I'll start with that.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.