Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Jonathan Carlson <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2002/01/31 23:50:40 UTC

Speed

Has anyone quantified the speed/overhead difference between using
velocity to generate HTML and JSP?

I assume Velocity is faster and more efficient, but I don't know that
for sure.  I'm curious how much difference there is.

--
Jonathan Carlson
joncrlsn@users.sf.net

Re: Speed

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@binarix.com>.
My reply was meant for the list, don't know how the private e-mail
happened. It seems that Reply-To header of Velocity list didn't come
through this time...

No, I don't use Turbine. I have my own PumpServlet. You can have a look
at it here: ftp://ftp.binarix.com/pub/pump/pump.tar.gz.

Bojan

Re: Speed

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 1/31/02 5:50 PM, "Jonathan Carlson" <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Has anyone quantified the speed/overhead difference between using
> velocity to generate HTML and JSP?
>
> I assume Velocity is faster and more efficient, but I don't know that
> for sure.  I'm curious how much difference there is.

In my experience, testing showed that Velocity was as fast or faster for
non-trivial pages.  I suspect that JSP will beat it for rendering static
content, but that would be the wrong appliation for JSP or Velocity anyway
:)

I think that I recall others found the same to be true.

System and Software Consulting
Java : the speed of Smalltalk with the simple elegance of C++...