Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/09 07:56:29 UTC

Re: [Axis2] -New feature : Adding custom deployer

I'm definitely +1 for this..  In fact I started doing the same couple
of days ago :)..

BTW it would be great if you can provide more details of the interface
which you are going to provide..

Thanks,
Thilina

On 2/9/07, Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> The BOF we had at the ApcheConUS 2006 I suggested the idea of supporting
> custom deployers into Axis2. The main reason with that was in Axis2 we
> can not easily deploy new file extension (as an example JavaScript ) ,
> and In JAXWS side they are doing all the initialization at the
> MessageReceiver level since they do not have a deployment plug point. So
> with this approach we have much more flexibility ,among them
>
> - If you do not like the directory name "services" and "modules" then
> you can easily changed that to whatever you like
> - If you do not like the .aar , .mar file extension you can easily
> change that to whatever you like
> - If you want make a javaScript into a AxisService (or Module) and you
> want to deploy that into a new directory inside the repository (let's
> say folder called "javaScript") you can easily do that.
> - If you want to deploy test file as a service, module, Transport or
> even Parameter you can do that
> - Among the most useful thing we can easily write a new Deployer to make
> Axis1 service into Axis2
>

> I spent last night and completed the new approach (I am very sorry for
> implementing the feature w.o letting know the community), which
> introduces a new Interface called "Deployer" with fore method. If you
> want to write a new Deployer then you need to implement that .
>
> I changed the current Deployment mechanism to work the new approach.
>
> With new approach if you want to add new Deployer, then the following
> are the steps;
> - First write a class implementing Deployer interface
> - Second add the following entry to to axis2.xml
> <deployer extension="aar" directory="service"
> class="org.apache.axis2.deployment.ServiceDeployer"/>
>

> I think this is one of the very cool features I added to Axis2 and hope
> no one will -1 on this , I will commmit the changes soon. If everything
> goes well we can keep the code else we can revert.
>
> here is my +1 for this feature as well as for commiting the code.
>
> Thanks
> Deepal

Thilina Gunarathne
WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
Home page: http://webservices.apache.org/~thilina/
Blog: http://thilinag.blogspot.com/

Re: [Axis2] -New feature : Adding custom deployer

Posted by Angel Todorov <at...@gmail.com>.
Hi Deepal,

Adding custom deployers is indeed a must. I would like to point out
several other things, which are currently not possible with the
deployer:

- remote deployment is necessary (currently it is not possible) - hot
deployment is good in words, but in reality it doesn't help when one
wants to receive any proper feedback immediately after deployment
about the state of the service.

- Users should be able to have both "hot-deployment" (by dropping
files in a dir), and remote deployment (i.e a servlet that calls
doDeploy() and doUndeploy).

- I took a look at your interface and i have the following objection:

It still doesn't propagate exceptions up to the caller. This is very
important. the DeploymentException should be thrown up to the caller
so that he can react to that, especially in the case of remote
deployment.

It doesn't support undeployment as far as i can see from a first look
- is that planned to be added or is it located in some other code?

As for the remote deployment, Axis2 should have a plain Servlet that
manages remote requests, and a client deployment API. I may contribute
that actually. This is very important when it comes to enterprise
set-ups. The current AdminServlet is not suitable for calling remotely
via HTTP, because it renders JSP pages -> HTML , and it is not elegant
to parse HTML... There should be a RemoteDeployServlet that supports
deploy/undeploy/ , etc.

I have some other ideas which can be implemented in the future, such
as transactional deployment for service groups, versioning of deployed
archives, dependencies among deployed archives, and so on. This will
add a great value to the stack.

Thanks very much, I think we can coordinate the deployment discussion
in some way and I can contribute as well to that.

Best,
Angel

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Thilina ;