Posted to user@spark.apache.org by rok <ro...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/13 14:56:00 UTC

minimizing disk I/O

I'm trying to understand the disk I/O patterns for Spark -- specifically, I'd
like to reduce the number of files that are being written during shuffle
operations. A couple questions:

* is the amount of file I/O performed independent of the memory I allocate
for the shuffles?

* if this is the case, what is the purpose of this memory and is there any
way to see how much of it is actually being used?

* how can I minimize the number of files being written? With 24 cores per
node, the filesystem can't handle the large amount of simultaneous I/O very
well so it limits the number of cores I can use...

Thanks for any insight you might have!