Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Nils Breunese <N....@vpro.nl> on 2011/10/12 16:48:07 UTC

View indexing won't complete

Hello all,

I'm in the process of upgrading a CouchDB 0.10.1 instance to 1.0.2. I've had to modify some map functions because of docs are sealed before being passed to map functions since 1.0.2. I'm now trying to build our view indexes on 1.0.2, but the views for one design document won't complete.

* All views in all design documents seem to build fine, except for one design document.
* CouchDB keeps restarting spontaneously when building the view index: "Apache CouchDB has started on http://0.0.0.0:5984/" appears in the log, while I didn't restart it.
* Requesting the view again after a spontaneous restart normally resumes the view index build, except that it stops doing that at some point. I currently have a view index that was checkpointed until seq 536615, while the full db goes to 537234, and requesting the view after a restart doesn't seem to do anything (no checkpoint logging, no high CPU usage). The .view file is currently 5.2 GB, it's not finished yet and it won't resume.
* I can read the full _changes feed for this database successfully.

I've had some help from Robert Newson via IRC, but we haven't been able to get to the bottom of this.

Any ideas? Should I give up on 1.0.2 and start over with 1.0.3 or 1.1.0?

Nils.
 VPRO   www.vpro.nl

Re: View indexing won't complete

Posted by CGS <cg...@gmail.com>.
The problem is in your file which crashes CouchDB. The application
supervisor tries to restart the server until it reaches the limit
defined inside. Once the limit reached, the server just dies and nothing
happens. That's why you don't have any output. Try to comment the lines
inside your view, leaving the minimal, and to add one by one more
options. In this way you will see where your code has problems. If you
need more help, as Paul said, add the relevant parts from your log in
your e-mail.

Cheers,
CGS

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.