Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Th...@HVBSystems.com on 2005/12/01 16:14:35 UTC

Performance: Caching Fonts, stylesheets

Hi,

currently I try to to increase the performance in my FO2PDF process.
.
I have a complex 2 page rtf document, which is converted manually by RTF2FO.
The FO to PDF process takes about 4 secs.
I am using already a driver pool.

Removing the true type fonts in the config xml saves approximately 1 second.
Can these fonts be cached somewhow ?
Is FOP using xslt to render the PDF ? Would a cashed stylesheet then be an
optimization ?

Is there anything else I can do ?

Thanx, Thomas

Re: Performance: Caching Fonts, stylesheets

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
In addition to what Sascha already said about FOP not using stylesheets
for FO documents and piping RTF2FO together with FOP using SAX events if
that's possible at all and you haven't done it already:
- TrueType fonts are quite complex and take a lot of time to parse and
embed. Particularly, the embedding process is difficult to cache
although a certain degree of pre-processing could certainly be performed.
But someone would have to go after that. Try using Type 1 fonts instead,
if possible, because these can be embedded much faster.
- You could try to identify elements in the FO generated by RTF2FO that
are redundant and work with the author of RTF2FO to reduce the amount of
information generated by the program. I've seen many FO editors which
produce huge amounts of redundant information because they don't make
use of property inheritance. Large FOs tend to use more memory and
processing time which tends to slow things down. But then, I don't know
if RTF2FO produces inefficient output.
- Buy a faster CPU. :-)

See also: http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/slides/FOP%20Optimization%20Presentation%20ApacheCon%20EU%202005.pdf

On 01.12.2005 16:14:35 Thomas.Schmitt.extern wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently I try to to increase the performance in my FO2PDF process.
> .
> I have a complex 2 page rtf document, which is converted manually by RTF2FO.
> The FO to PDF process takes about 4 secs.
> I am using already a driver pool.
>
> Removing the true type fonts in the config xml saves approximately 1 second.
> Can these fonts be cached somewhow ?
> Is FOP using xslt to render the PDF ? Would a cashed stylesheet then be an
> optimization ?
>
> Is there anything else I can do ?
>
> Thanx, Thomas

Jeremias Maerki

RE: Performance: Caching Fonts, stylesheets

Posted by Sascha Schmidt <co...@northbit.de>.
Hi,

FOP is not using any stylesheet to render a pure XSL-FO document into PDF.
Do you create a temporary XSL-FO file with RTF2FO or are you sending
SAX-Events or a DOM to FOP?

BTW, we are also distributing an RTF to XSL-FO processor, called JFO, that
already comes with integration for FOP and other renderers. We are sending
SAX-Events to FOP immediatelly after converting from RTF to XSL-FO. This
saves a lot of time, because no XML stream must be parsed. I would be happy
if you could download the latest build of JFO and make some tests. ;-)

Cheers,
Sascha

NORTHBIT
Sascha Schmidt