Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sam Takoy <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2013/03/12 06:29:52 UTC

Tomcat as a service: system tray?

Hi,

This is related to the questions that I asked yesterday and got such insightful responses (thanks!).

If I am running Tomcat as a Windows service, is it possible to control it through a System Tray icon?

(By the way, I don't know where to report irrelevant typos in the documentation, but http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-service-howto.html says "system try".)

Thank you!

Sam

Re: Tomcat as a service: system tray?

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2013/3/12 Sam Takoy <sa...@yahoo.com>:
> Hi,
>
> This is related to the questions that I asked yesterday and got such insightful responses (thanks!).
>
> If I am running Tomcat as a Windows service, is it possible to control it through a System Tray icon?

Tomcat7.exe //MS

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-daemon/procrun.html

Tomcat windows installer creates a shortcut for it in "Startup" group
in Windows menu, but on latest versions of Windows that app should
actually be started in "run as administrator" mode to be useful.

> (By the way, I don't know where to report irrelevant typos in the documentation, but http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-service-howto.html says "system try".)

Online Tomcat 7 documentation is integrated with comments.apache.org
If you scroll to the bottom of that page you can leave a comment
there.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Tomcat as a service: system tray?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Sam Takoy wrote:
> Actually, I download the .zip version of Tomcat. I installed the service using the "service install" command. So now I'm wondering, given my current situation, how to activate the system tray option.

Sam, sorry.
I was under the impression that when you install Tomcat as a Windows Service, it
automatically creates a system tray icon.  But now that I think further about it, I may
have been confusing this with Apache httpd (which I am sure does install a system tray
icon).  It has been a while since I last installed a Windows-based Tomcat.
Anyway, if Tomcat doesn't, I apologise and take back my imprudent answer.

Re: Tomcat as a service: system tray?

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Sam Takoy <sa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Actually, I download the .zip version of Tomcat. I installed the service
> using the "service install" command. So now I'm wondering, given my current
> situation, how to activate the system tray option.

Since I'm running Windows Server 2008 (64 bit) as my development server and
Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 bit) as my production server, I decided to give
this a go.

1. Searched google for the following:

tomcat windows service system tray

2. The first search result in the list of search results was the following:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/setup.html

3. Went to that page and read the following:

   - *Tray icon*: When Tomcat is run as a service, there will not be any
   tray icon present when Tomcat is running. Note that when choosing to run
   Tomcat at the end of installation, the tray icon will be used even if
   Tomcat was installed as a service.
   - Refer to the Windows Service
HOW-TO<http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-service-howto.html>
for
   information on how to manage Tomcat as a Windows service.

4. I didn't quite understand the first bulleted item above (at all; i'll be
waiting for someone to respond about my lack of understanding about that
first bulleted item above), so I proceeded to the Windows Service HOW-TO
page, since it was referenced in the second bulleted item

5. On the Windows Service HOW-TO page, it stated the following:

*Tomcat7w monitor application*

*Tomcat7w* is a GUI application for monitoring and configuring Tomcat
services.

The available command line options are:

//ES//Edit service configurationThis is the default operation. It is called
if the no option is provided but the executable is renamed to*
servicenameW.exe*//MS//Monitor servicePut the icon in the system try

6. All of that was so very understandable, that I decided to give it a try,
even though i have 'no' need for a system tray option, since I created a
shortcut to tomcat7w.exe and dragged the shortcut to the Start menu, and
that surely/definitely meets my requirements/needs! :)

7. Opened up a Command Prompt window, did a 'cd' (change directory) to
tomcat7/bin folder, and then did 'tomcat7w.exe //MS//', and immediately,
tomcat7w.exe shortcut/icon showed up in System Tray.

8. I've seen this mentioned on the list so many times, so it was very easy
to refer to documentation while having in mind, what others have
mentioned/recommended on this/tomcat user list. And the little typo 'try'
(instead of 'tray') did not 'prevent' me from following these instructions
in tomcat7 documentation and completing this very simple task to 'put the
icon in the system tray'.

9. Last but not least, I only download and use/install .zip file, too, and
install service via service install tomcat7.

10. please forgive my copy and pasting above from tomcat7 documentation
pages. this email was not sent as plain text, so i don't know how it will
be formatted after i click the Send button. :)

RE: Tomcat as a service: system tray?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Sam Takoy [mailto:sam.takoy@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat as a service: system tray?

Don't top-post.

> I installed the service using the "service install" command. So now I'm wondering,
> given my current situation, how to activate the system tray option.

Read the doc:

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-daemon//procrun.html

Use the //MS or //MR directive.

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat as a service: system tray?

Posted by Sam Takoy <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Actually, I download the .zip version of Tomcat. I installed the service using the "service install" command. So now I'm wondering, given my current situation, how to activate the system tray option.

(OK, I'll be collecting the typos as you suggested.)

Thanks!

> This is related to the questions that I asked yesterday and got such insightful responses (thanks!).
>
> If I am running Tomcat as a Windows service, is it possible to control it through a System Tray icon?

Yes, but why don't you try it ?  It is really easy to download and install Tomcat as a Service on any Windows workstation, and you'll get the system tray icon automatically.

> (By the way, I don't know where to report irrelevant typos in the documentation, but http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-service-howto.html says "system try".)

Unless you want to submit patches - which are always welcome but do require some preparatory work - probably the best thing to do would be to collect a list of such typos, and when you've found a dozen or so, post the list here, with precise references like above.  Someone might then pick up the list and go through all of them in one go.

Re: Tomcat as a service: system tray?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.