Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com> on 2022/09/08 13:54:03 UTC

[DISCUSS] Removing Rest from ActiveMQ Artemis

I'm not sure if there's much to discuss here. Rest in Artemis has been
abandonware for a while (like 5 years)... The jboss-rest interface is
a few major releases behind, the module compiles but it's not
functional, and any time someone ask questions we just mention don't
use it... (favoring stomp instead).

https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/tree/main/artemis-rest

As part of new logging changes, we are moving activemq-artemis into 3.0...

At this point I see no other choice than remove the module.

Any objections?

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Removing Rest from ActiveMQ Artemis

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
As I said on the Voting Thread. Rest is an independent maven
component. Users have to consume it from maven on their own Rest
application.

So, they can still keep doing it from a previous release until they
decide to not use it any more:

That's a good deprecating strategy I think.

The component is not part of the release distribution as far as I can tell.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
Question now: should we have someone bringing the rest from AMQ5 into
Artemis? Is there any value on converting it to artemis?

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cesar Hernandez <ce...@gmail.com>.

> How can we analyze usage?

Agree, that's an interesting question.  On the top of my head, and without
knowing activemq.apache.org website infrastructure details, it would be
interesting to get overall traffic stats from the page
https://activemq.apache.org/rest . That at least will give us some sort of
view of how users are or not even checking the documentation.

El lun, 12 sept 2022 a las 18:12, Tetreault, Lucas

--
Atentamente:
César Hernández.

Re: [DISCUSS] Removing Rest from ActiveMQ Artemis

Posted by "Tetreault, Lucas" <te...@amazon.com.INVALID>.

    --
    Atentamente:
    César Hernández.

Re: [DISCUSS] Removing Rest from ActiveMQ Artemis

Posted by Cesar Hernandez <ce...@gmail.com>.

--
Atentamente:
César Hernández.

Re: [DISCUSS] Removing Rest from ActiveMQ Artemis

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
@Matt no problem at all.. just making it clear...

And I am actually conflicted if there would be value in bringing it to
artemis. If there would be any extra features to be developed?

I don't honestly "believe" in rest over messaging....  the API gets
too stateful to my taste.    that's why I'm looking for guidance.

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hey Clebert-

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Tetreault, Lucas" <te...@amazon.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
Yeah that's the tricky part, I'm not sure how doable it is but figured if
it was ever going to be looked at then a major version change would be the
time to re-visit.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.