Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Eric Delacroix <ed...@hotmail.com> on 2003/04/23 11:52:20 UTC

about SAX and DOM parsers

hello,

I tried to understand why there is SAX and DOM functions implemented in
batik, and in which cases they were used.
So is SAX used only to build the GVT tree? and then, we have a mirror of the
DOM in Java objects, so the methods used are the DOM ones?
And in consequence, which parser is used in which case between crimson and
xerces? And eventually, why? I know it's quite abstract as a question, but I
think it could be helpful to fully understand the way all this works...
Thank you for helping.

Eric Delacroix
Faculté des Sciences appliquées
ULB Brussels

Re: about SAX and DOM parsers

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vi...@sun.com>.
Hello Eric,

Batik uses the org.apache.batik.util.XMLResourceDescriptor class to
define which SAX Parser to use (Crimson or Xerces or any other
implementation). Then, we build a DOM tree using our own DOM
implementation which is needed to support the SVG DOM features. The DOM
tree is then bound to a GVT tree (org.apache.batik.gvt) thanks to the
bridge module (org.apache.batik.bridge).

You can refer to the web site documentation:
http://xml.apache.org/batik/architecture.html

Vincent.