Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Larry Isaacs <La...@sas.com> on 2000/09/08 03:54:07 UTC

patch for Tomcat 3.3

Hi Costin,

While porting the <load-on-startup> fix to Tomcat 3.3, I noticed that the "int loadOnStartup" moved from ServletWrapper.java to Handler.java while the setLoadOnStartup(int ) and getLoadOnStartup() methods were copied.

I'm adding a "boolean loadingOnStartup" with getter/setter methods to Handler.java to deal with the case where the servlet should load when loadOnStartup=0.

In an effort to futher the "clean up" of Tomcat 3.3 code, should I remove the setLoadOnStartup(int ) and getLoadOnStartup() methods from ServletWrapper.java since they duplicate those in Handler.java?  Or for consistency, should I add the new getter/setter methods to ServletWrapper.java too?  Or, do you have additional plans for these files such that I should wait?

Cheers,
Larry

Re: patch for Tomcat 3.3

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
Hi Larry,

> I'm adding a "boolean loadingOnStartup" with getter/setter methods to
> Handler.java to deal with the case where the servlet should load when
> loadOnStartup=0.

+1

> In an effort to futher the "clean up" of Tomcat 3.3 code, should I
> remove the setLoadOnStartup(int ) and getLoadOnStartup() methods from
> ServletWrapper.java since they duplicate those in Handler.java?  Or for
> consistency, should I add the new getter/setter methods to
> ServletWrapper.java too?  Or, do you have additional plans for these
> files such that I should wait?

Please don't wait, any clean up is good :-)
Whatever you feel is simpler would be fine.

Handler is a bit more important since it's in core and can be used
by other facades and it's used by internal code ( in order to avoid going
through facades and back ).

SerlvetWrapper is in a bad shape, probably needs a clean start. Right now
IMHO it is better to just leave it as it is in the 2.2 facade. Of course,
if you have the time or wish - I would be happy to see it replaced or
fixed.

I just hope to get some help on refactoring it in the 2.3 facade ( well,
I would rather help anyone who wants to  do that - I have few deadlines
and I want to finish some other things I started ). Implementing servlet
2.3 in a better way would be really great ( and I already messed the 2.2
implementation - a fresh look would be far better :-)

I know implementing the spec is tricky, but it's very cool also.

Costin