Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> on 2007/05/31 17:31:13 UTC

[test] Cocoon 2.2-RC1 & others

The proposed release artifacts are available at
http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon/.

Except for the archetypes the easiest way to test the artifacts is by adding a
"cocoon-staging" profile to your ~/.m2/settings.xml:

<settings>
   <profiles>
     <profile>
       <id>cocoon-staging</id>
         <repositories>
           <repository>
             <id>cocoon.staging</id>
             <name>Cocoon staging repository</name>
             <url>http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon</url>
           </repository>
         </repositories>
         <pluginRepositories>
           <pluginRepository>
             <id>cocoon.staging</id>
             <name>Cocoon staging repository</name>
             <url>http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon</url>
           </pluginRepository>
         </pluginRepositories>
     </profile>
   </profiles>
</settings>

Then change the version number of the artifacts that you use in your POMs
to the number of the proposed artifact and append "-P cocoon-staging" to all
your Maven commands, e.g.

mvn install -P cocoon-staging

                                       - o -

Because of a bug with the Maven archetyp feature, using profiles doesn't work
with the Maven archetype goal. In order to test them you can either check them
out from SVN

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/tags/cocoon-2.2/cocoon-22-archetype-block/cocoon-22-archetype-block-1.0.0-RC1
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/tags/cocoon-2.2/cocoon-22-archetype-webapp/cocoon-22-archetype-webapp-1.0.0-RC1
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/tags/cocoon-2.2/cocoon-22-archetype-block-plain/cocoon-22-archetype-block-plain-1.0.0-RC1

or use the latest version from SVN and use the snapshot version numbers.

The commands to use the archetypes and explanations of what they are for can be
found at http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs/g2/g5/g1/1208.html.

                                       - o -

I also want to draw your attention to
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs/g2/g1/g2/1370.html which contains
references to 4 tutorials that help you to get started with Cocoon 2.2 and also
help to test the release artifacts. Again, make sure that you use the
cocoon-staging profile for all your commands as explained above. Otherwise the
referenced artifacts can't be found.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [test] Cocoon 2.2-RC1 & others

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.
Grzegorz Kossakowski pisze:
> Reinhard Poetz pisze:
>
> POM file of commons-jci-core is not downloaded because
> apache-m2-snapshot is not used while searching for this pom file.
> However, when Maven tries to download jar file it uses
> apache-m2-snpashot repository declared cocoon-rcl-webapp-wrapper.
>
> Sight, I spent about two hours to discover things described above to
> only find out that we again hit this issue:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1975

I forgot to say: if you fix first problem and add this:
<repositories>
   <!-- Repository for the commons-jci -->
   <repository>
     <id>apache-m2-snapshot</id>
     <name>Apache Maven 2 Repository</name>
     <url>http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository</url>
     <releases>
       <enabled>true</enabled>
     </releases>
     <snapshots>
       <enabled>false</enabled>
     </snapshots>
   </repository>
</repositories>
to your block's pom mvn jetty:run works fine. Now it should be clear for you that we hit again COCOON-1975...

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: [test] Cocoon 2.2-RC1 & others

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz pisze:

> The proposed release artifacts are available at
> http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon/.
>
> Except for the archetypes the easiest way to test the artifacts is by
> adding a
> "cocoon-staging" profile to your ~/.m2/settings.xml:
>
> <settings>
>   <profiles>
>     <profile>
>       <id>cocoon-staging</id>
>         <repositories>
>           <repository>
>             <id>cocoon.staging</id>
>             <name>Cocoon staging repository</name>
>             <url>http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon</url>
>           </repository>
>         </repositories>
>         <pluginRepositories>
>           <pluginRepository>
>             <id>cocoon.staging</id>
>             <name>Cocoon staging repository</name>
>             <url>http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon</url>
>           </pluginRepository>
>         </pluginRepositories>
>     </profile>
>   </profiles>
> </settings>
>
> Then change the version number of the artifacts that you use in your POMs
> to the number of the proposed artifact and append "-P cocoon-staging" to
> all
> your Maven commands, e.g.
>
> mvn install -P cocoon-staging

I really think that creating separate settings file with non-default local repository path is much better option. You don't mess your
original installation, you have clean local repo but do not loose ability to work with other projects, etc. I gave a model file:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/73498

> Again, make sure that you use the
> cocoon-staging profile for all your commands as explained above.
> Otherwise the
> referenced artifacts can't be found.

There is a problem with dependencies of org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-rcl-webapp-wrapper:1.0.0-M1 that was reported by Joakim Verona. There are
two problems:
1. http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon/org/apache/cocoon/cocoon/4/cocoon-4.pom contains:
<dependency>
   <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
   <artifactId>commons-jci-fam</artifactId>
   <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>
and it makes Maven going mad. It downloads both (SNAPSHOT and RC) versions but does not use any of them at runtime. I guess we must remove
it, right?

2. I fixed first problem locally and ran mvn jetty:run -X -s testing-cocoon-settings.xml -X and got:
[INFO] [cocoon:rcl {execution: rcl}]
[INFO] Creating a reloading Cocoon web application.
[INFO] Deploying string-template to WEB-INF/log4j.xml
[DEBUG] unspecified:unspecified:jar:0.0 (selected for null)
[DEBUG] Trying repository cocoon.staging
Downloading: http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon/org/apache/cocoon/cocoon-rcl-webapp-wrapper/1.0.0-M1/cocoon-rcl-webapp-wrapper-1.0.0-M1.pom
[...]
4K downloaded
[DEBUG]   Artifact resolved
[DEBUG] Retrieving parent-POM: org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-tools-modules::4 for project: null:cocoon-rcl-webapp-wrapper:jar:1.0.0-M1 from the
repository.
[DEBUG] Retrieving parent-POM: org.apache.cocoon:cocoon::4 for project: null:cocoon-tools-modules:pom:4 from the repository.
[DEBUG] Retrieving parent-POM: org.apache:apache::4 for project: org.apache.cocoon:cocoon:pom:4 from the repository.
[DEBUG] Adding managed depedendencies for unknown:cocoon-rcl-webapp-wrapper
[...]
[DEBUG]   org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-rcl-webapp-wrapper:jar:1.0.0-M1:compile (selected for compile)
[DEBUG] Trying repository cocoon.staging
Downloading: http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon/org/apache/commons/commons-jci-core/1.0-RC1/commons-jci-core-1.0-RC1.pom
[DEBUG] Unable to get resource 'org.apache.commons:commons-jci-core:pom:1.0-RC1' from repository cocoon.staging
(http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon)
[DEBUG] Trying repository central
Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-jci-core/1.0-RC1/commons-jci-core-1.0-RC1.pom
[DEBUG] Unable to get resource 'org.apache.commons:commons-jci-core:pom:1.0-RC1' from repository central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
[DEBUG] Artifact not found - using stub model: Unable to download the artifact from any repository

   org.apache.commons:commons-jci-core:pom:1.0-RC1

from the specified remote repositories:
   cocoon.staging (http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon),
   central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

[DEBUG] Using defaults for missing POM org.apache.commons:commons-jci-core:pom:1.0-RC1:compile
[DEBUG]     org.apache.commons:commons-jci-core:jar:1.0-RC1:compile (selected for compile)
[DEBUG]     commons-logging:commons-logging:jar:1.1:compile (selected for compile)
[DEBUG]       log4j:log4j:jar:1.2.12:compile (selected for compile)
[DEBUG]       javax.servlet:servlet-api:jar:2.3:compile (selected for compile)
[DEBUG]     log4j:log4j:jar:1.2.12:compile (removed - nearer found: 1.2.14)
[DEBUG]     log4j:log4j:jar:1.2.14:compile (selected for compile)
[DEBUG] Trying repository cocoon.staging
Downloading: http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon/org/apache/commons/commons-jci-core/1.0-RC1/commons-jci-core-1.0-RC1.jar
[DEBUG] Unable to get resource 'org.apache.commons:commons-jci-core:jar:1.0-RC1' from repository cocoon.staging
(http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon)
[DEBUG] Trying repository apache-m2-snapshot
Downloading: http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/commons/commons-jci-core/1.0-RC1/commons-jci-core-1.0-RC1.jar
[...]
26K downloaded
[DEBUG]   Artifact resolved

POM file of commons-jci-core is not downloaded because apache-m2-snapshot is not used while searching for this pom file. However, when Maven
tries to download jar file it uses apache-m2-snpashot repository declared cocoon-rcl-webapp-wrapper.

Sight, I spent about two hours to discover things described above to only find out that we again hit this issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1975

Thoughts?

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: [test] Cocoon 2.2-RC1 & others

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:

>>> Why is there no release of cocoon spring configurator?
>>
>> because there has already been a final release 1.0.0 of it and there
>> haven't been any changes that would justify a 1.0.1.
>>
> Hmm, there have been some changes and actually the 1.0.0 release is not
> 100% correct as it contains 1.0.1 references :) So, it would be great to
> have a 1.0.1 release as well.

Ok. I will do so.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [test] Cocoon 2.2-RC1 & others

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Leszek Gawron wrote:
>> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>>
>>> The proposed release artifacts are available at
>>> http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon/.
>>
>> Why is there no release of cocoon spring configurator?
>
> because there has already been a final release 1.0.0 of it and there
> haven't been any changes that would justify a 1.0.1.

Hmm, there have been some changes and actually the 1.0.0 release is not
100% correct as it contains 1.0.1 references :) So, it would be great to
have a 1.0.1 release as well.

Carsten

Re: [test] Cocoon 2.2-RC1 & others

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [test] Cocoon 2.2-RC1 & others

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> The proposed release artifacts are available at
> http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon/.

Why is there no release of cocoon spring configurator?

--
Leszek Gawron                         http://www.mobilebox.pl/krs.html
CTO at MobileBox Ltd.