Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/12 02:05:26 UTC

Remove multi-level bookmarks?

Hi team, once Gaurav's patch removing blog subcategories is in place,
and the simplifications this switch incurs realized, I'd like us to do
the same with our blogroll page--namely, remove sub-bookmarks (bookmark
folders) and incorporate blogitem ordering in its place.  I imagine the
blogroll page will look closely similar to the (upcoming) category page
-- a straight list of top-level blogroll items and up-and-down arrows of
some sort to facilitate ordering of them.  As part of this switch, we'll
be pulling out the "Import bookmarks via OPML" option, as few use OPML
and its value is greatly shrunk once we move from a tree to a list for
blogroll items.  This change will also result in the bookmark table
being simplified from a hierarchical to a flat structure (i.e., no more
parent bookmark column), just as is being done with categories.

The blogroll page is primarily for novice and intermediate bloggers and
nearly all of them would be fine with a single-list of blogroll items,
as indeed virtually all blogrolls are formatted as lists anyway.  The
handful of more advanced users looking into maintaining a tree of
blogroll links can still accomplish that via template modifications
(manually adding the HTML links into the side-column template), an
approach many would be taking even if trees continue to be supported in
the blogroll page. (I never use the blogroll page myself, I just
manually configure my blogroll links in the side column template anyway
along with the formatting I desire.)  So I think this change will nicely
tighten up and further simplify the Roller code and UI, helping increase
its adoption, while not preventing blogroll trees for the relative few
wanting them.

WDYT?

Regards,
Glen

Re: Remove multi-level bookmarks?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave and others, I didn't realize that we are already using the table
structure that would support (B) below:  separate [bookmark-]folder and
bookmark tables.  So unless I hear any objections from the team I will
go ahead and move us from (C) to (B), namely prohibit bookmark folders
from themselves containing bookmark folders (basically, remove the path
and parentid columns from the folder table and make all bookmark folders
top-level.) From my experience in getting rid of subcategories this will
considerably simplify the Roller code in this area.

Also, for bookmarks I would like to get rid of the unimplemented
"priority" column and replace it with the "position" column added to the
Category table (same meaning, a 0-based location of the blogroll item in
its list.)  Further, the bookmark "weight" column used to change the
class used to generate the link item, as used in weblog.vm:

    title="$bookmark.description"
    class="rBookmark$bookmark.weight">$bookmark.name</a>

...is arguably overkill and a rare need.  (I suspect we could refer such
users needing this to doing template modifications instead.) I wonder if
it would be better to simplify the bookmark management UI and bookmark
table by removing this "weight" option?  But either way is fine for me.

Regards,
Glen

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
Thanks. That is a good example and it explains the alternatives well.

My concern is requiring people to "just directly modify the template"
because on some sites users are not allowed to edit the templates (e.g.
blogs.apache.org). Without the bookmark folder (or some other grouping
concept) the "allow blog Authors to add new links to multiple bookmarks
lists" cannot be supported when template edits are turned off. (I actually
need this use case to support one of my blogs.)

- Dave

- Dave

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.