Posted to bridges-user@portals.apache.org by Lubos Svoboda <L....@cleverbee.com> on 2006/02/03 18:12:16 UTC

Chaining actions

Hello,
I have problem with chaining struts actions. I use dispatched actions in
chain in my application and it works fine on tomcat without jetspeed. On
the jetspeed it freeze everytime I try forward to another action
handler.

Here is my config:
Jetspeed 2

    <action path="/agreementHandler" name="agreementsListForm"
type="com.cleverbee.hci.test.struts.action.AgreementHandlerAction"
scope="session" validate="false" parameter="op">
      <forward name="list" path="/agreement_list.jsp" redirect="true"/>
    </action>
    <action path="/creditCardHandler" name="creditCardForm"
type="com.cleverbee.hci.test.struts.action.CreditCardHandlerAction"
scope="session" validate="false" parameter="op">
      <forward name="show" path="/cc_activate.jsp" redirect="true"/>
      <forward name="storno1" path="/agreementHandler.shtml?op=list"
redirect="true"/>
      <forward name="storno2" path="/agreementHandler.shtml?op=list"/>

    </action>

Class CreditCardHandlerAction
public ActionForward storno(ActionMapping mapping, ActionForm form,
HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws
Exception {
       return mapping.findForward("storno1");    // <==== it freeze now
- blank page is displayed
}

Logging provides me information, that method "list" in agreementHandler
was executed (include forward "list"), but blank page is displayed
instead of page agreement_list.jsp!
Is there any workaround or fix for that? Please help.

Thanks
Lubos

Re: Chaining actions

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Lubos Svoboda wrote:
> Hello,
> I have problem with chaining struts actions. I use dispatched actions in
> chain in my application and it works fine on tomcat without jetspeed. On
> the jetspeed it freeze everytime I try forward to another action
> handler.
>
> Here is my config:
> Jetspeed 2
>

>     <action path="/agreementHandler" name="agreementsListForm"
> type="com.cleverbee.hci.test.struts.action.AgreementHandlerAction"
> scope="session" validate="false" parameter="op">
>       <forward name="list" path="/agreement_list.jsp" redirect="true"/>
>     </action>
>     <action path="/creditCardHandler" name="creditCardForm"
> type="com.cleverbee.hci.test.struts.action.CreditCardHandlerAction"
> scope="session" validate="false" parameter="op">
>       <forward name="show" path="/cc_activate.jsp" redirect="true"/>
>       <forward name="storno1" path="/agreementHandler.shtml?op=list"
> redirect="true"/>
>       <forward name="storno2" path="/agreementHandler.shtml?op=list"/>
>
>     </action>
>

> Class CreditCardHandlerAction
> public ActionForward storno(ActionMapping mapping, ActionForm form,
> HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws
> Exception {
>        return mapping.findForward("storno1");    // <==== it freeze now
> - blank page is displayed
> }
>
> Logging provides me information, that method "list" in agreementHandler
> was executed (include forward "list"), but blank page is displayed
> instead of page agreement_list.jsp!
> Is there any workaround or fix for that? Please help.
I have little to go by as your information is still too limited.
In the future, try to be more specific and especially provide *how* you invoke a
certain action or page, e.g. through a portlet ActionUrl or portlet RenderUrl.

In this case, I've got the feeling the creditCardHandler might be invoked during
the RenderRequest processing. If true, then you shouldn't be having a redirect="true" on
the forward you invoke because redirecting isn't possible during (Portlet) rendering.
Remove the redirect="true" in that case from your config and it should work.

On another note: action chaining isn't really supported nor a recommended way of
using Struts by the Struts guru's themselves.