Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by Saravana Krishnan Kannan <sa...@uky.edu> on 2004/10/22 08:26:35 UTC

Village for Oracle patch - new bug fix (22-Oct-2004)

Hi,

  This is for all those village for Oracle users who got the patch from http://sweb.uky.edu/~skkann2/village/index.html

Fixed a bug that would prevent you from inserting a record in which a VARCHAR/CHAR field is set to '' (empty string). The same is true for updating a record which has a VARCHAR/CHAR field set/updated to '' (empty string).

You can download the patch from this web site-
http://sweb.uky.edu/~skkann2/village/index.html

When I try to update the Torque WIKI FAQ page to change the "last updated" date for village-oraclepatched, it says "You are not allowed to edit this page." This has been the case for a long time and no one responded to my question as to why it is this way. Seems to be countering the goal of putting up a Wiki. So I ask again - why is it this way? How can I get to update the page?

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Sarav

Re: Village for Oracle patch - new bug fix (22-Oct-2004)

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Saravana Krishnan Kannan" <sa...@uky.edu> writes:

> When I try to update the Torque WIKI FAQ page to change the "last
> updated" date for village-oraclepatched, it says "You are not
> allowed to edit this page." This has been the case for a long time
> and no one responded to my question as to why it is this way. Seems
> to be countering the goal of putting up a Wiki. So I ask again - why
> is it this way? How can I get to update the page?

In an attempt to reduce Wiki vandalism, the Wiki requires you to log
in first. Click on "User Preferences" on the top right and create an
account. Once you are logged in (Your account name appears on the top
right), you can edit the page.

	Regards
		Henning

                                    Open Source Software Development"

AW: Village for Oracle patch.

Posted by Ben Bookey <be...@gistec-online.de>.

Hi Saravana,

> >>Is this hanging noticed only in tables with LOBs or does it hang on any
> >>table where locking is performed?
>
> This is a very good question :-) I think that this table with the LOB is
the
> only one where any locking is taking place in my application. My
> understanding is that Oracle locking is only done when a specific "select
*
> where * for update" command is used (this command is also system.out'd,
> presumably from your patch). If this is the case, then its the only table
> where I have noticed this problem, as the remainder of the app is doing
> standard Torque Deletes, Updates and Inserts using Torque (varchar and
> numbers) and I believe from the Torque logs that no such commands are
done.

==So I assume you access your tables using only Torque and don't use any
==custom SQL statements to access the database.
Correct.

> One futher point I would like to add, is that this problem is not likely
> happen alot in my app. I have locked the row
> using SQLplus, and not another instance of myApp.

==What do you mean by "locked the row using SQLplus"? Do you mean Stored
==procedures? Why do you lock the row in the first place? I'm confused.
==Explain more about the scenario please. What is myApp (I can see its
==something you wrote ;-) ) Is your application a webapp or a standalone
==app?

MyApp is a tomcat, servlet database app with jsp. Upto max 20 users
accessing the same
oracle instance and tablespace using this app. After sleeping on it:-) the
only place
where locking must take place is with the BLOB. This is due to the writing
of the filesize normally
associated with blobs (we limit this to 30k but this can be increased if the
customer so wishes).

In this environment users *could* get conflicts, when attempting a blob
update simultanesously on
the same row. I reproduce a locking scenario by using the
%ORACLE_HOME%\ora92\bin\SQLplus.exe, and selecting for update a particular
row containing a LOB for update. I then attempt a blob update with myAPP and
it hangs until
I COMMIT on SQLplus.exe. This is in affect reproducing a slow update of the
blob to the database.

We are a group of three developers.

==I think there is a way to ask Oracle to not wait (add NO WAIT at the
==end) but I'm not sure I want to make it the default option of Village. I
==don't know if Torque passes on "lock requirements" to Village. If it
==does and I can figure out how to get that property within village, I can
==add the feature to not wait on locks.

Thats what I was thinking. Adding NO WAIT, and returning an Exception, would
remove this problem( issue would be better perhaps:-)) completely.  I guess
I have not really thought about the "real chances" of user-conflicts
occuring in myAPP. I suppose the chances are minimal, and because the
filesize is also minimal a second user shouldnt have to wait so long until
lock is released. More conflicts would occur when the filesizes are bigger.

Await your comment :-)

Ben

RE: Village for Oracle patch.

Posted by Saravana Krishnan <sa...@uky.edu>.
Hi Ben,

> >>Is this hanging noticed only in tables with LOBs or does it hang on any
> >>table where locking is performed?
>
> This is a very good question :-) I think that this table with the LOB is the
> only one where any locking is taking place in my application. My
> understanding is that Oracle locking is only done when a specific "select *
> where * for update" command is used (this command is also system.out'd,
> presumably from your patch). If this is the case, then its the only table
> where I have noticed this problem, as the remainder of the app is doing
> standard Torque Deletes, Updates and Inserts using Torque (varchar and
> numbers) and I believe from the Torque logs that no such commands are done.

So I assume you access your tables using only Torque and don't use any
custom SQL statements to access the database.

> One futher point I would like to add, is that this problem is not likely to
> happen alot in my app. I have locked the row
> using SQLplus, and not another instance of myApp.

What do you mean by "locked the row using SQLplus"? Do you mean Stored
procedures? Why do you lock the row in the first place? I'm confused.
Explain more about the scenario please. What is myApp (I can see its
something you wrote ;-) ) Is your application a webapp or a standalone
app?

I think there is a way to ask Oracle to not wait (add NO WAIT at the
end) but I'm not sure I want to make it the default option of Village. I
don't know if Torque passes on "lock requirements" to Village. If it
does and I can figure out how to get that property within village, I can
add the feature to not wait on locks.

~Sarav

RE: Village for Oracle patch.

Posted by Ben Bookey <be...@gistec-online.de>.
Hi Sarav,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

>>Is this hanging noticed only in tables with LOBs or does it hang on any
>>table where locking is performed?

This is a very good question :-) I think that this table with the LOB is the
only one where any locking is taking place in my application. My
understanding is that Oracle locking is only done when a specific "select *
where * for update" command is used (this command is also system.out'd,
presumably from your patch). If this is the case, then its the only table
where I have noticed this problem, as the remainder of the app is doing
standard Torque Deletes, Updates and Inserts using Torque (varchar and
numbers) and I believe from the Torque logs that no such commands are done.

One futher point I would like to add, is that this problem is not likely to
happen alot in my app. I have locked the row
using SQLplus, and not another instance of myApp. However, when one user is
uploading a larger file to the table file, it could result in another
scratching his head, and it would be nice to stop this hanging process.

regards,

Ben Bookey

Re: Village for Oracle patch.

Posted by Saravana Krishnan <sa...@uky.edu>.
Hi Ben,

> I have a LOB question regarding oracle and the patched village package. village-2.0-dev-oraclepatched-20040806.jar
> (This works fine for uploading files > 4k !! thank you very much)

You are welcome. Looks like you are using a very old release of the
patch. Please update it, there were several serious bugs that have been
fixed.

> In a mutli-user-environment, lets say a SQLplus-client has locked the row
> indefinitely (until oracle session timeout), the torque Databasetable
> object class hangs until the other "user" unlocks the row. Is there a
> way to get around this. e.g. torque throws an exception which I can then
>  check ?Or must my app hang until the lock has been released.

Is this hanging noticed only in tables with LOBs or does it hang on any
table where locking is performed?

Cheers,
Sarav

Village for Oracle patch.

Posted by Ben Bookey <be...@gistec-online.de>.
Dear list,

I have a LOB question regarding oracle and the patched village package. village-2.0-dev-oraclepatched-20040806.jar
(This works fine for uploading files > 4k !! thank you very much)

In a mutli-user-environment, lets say a SQLplus-client has locked the row indefinitely (until oracle session timeout), the torque Databasetable object class hangs until the other "user" unlocks the row. Is there a way to get around this. e.g. torque throws an exception which I can then check ?Or must my app hang until the lock has been released.

Hope someone can give me a clue.

regards

Ben Bookey