Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com> on 2002/02/06 14:06:03 UTC

Nominations, +1s, ...

I'm ready to give +1 to people nominated which are missing them, but I
could not find any posting telling if +1 are required, or are just to be
considered a form of moral support.

Could anybody clarify?

Re: Nominations, +1s, ...

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>.

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Santiago Gala wrote:

> I'm ready to give +1 to people nominated which are missing them, but I
> could not find any posting telling if +1 are required, or are just to be
> considered a form of moral support.
>
> Could anybody clarify?

This is a known bug in the voting procedure - and one which should have
been caught by the regression test :-). But was not. :(.

I've put clarification of this on the list for future elections. Lets hope
we do not forget about it next time round. Of course what would help is
this group reaching a clear deceision of what they want :-) - and making
sure the PMC knows this. The procedure is in cvs:foundation/Ballots/. Feel
free to edit.

So this time round we've simply added every person nominated which
accepted the nomination. Fortunately it does not seem a showstopper: sofar
each of the nominations was seconded at least once; or twice if you count
the person's own acceptance too.

Dw

Re: Nominations, +1s, ...

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Santiago Gala wrote:
>
>>I'm ready to give +1 to people nominated which are missing them, but I
>>could not find any posting telling if +1 are required, or are just to be
>>considered a form of moral support.
>>

>>Could anybody clarify?
>>

>Personally: I do not care much for seconding - just that the person
>accepts - simple voting is the true test in my personal opinion. And in a
>crowd as vocal as this I trust that issues are raised in time to make sure
>that seconding is non essential filtering mechanism.
>
>But that is a personal opinion - not the nessesarily shared by the voting
>volunteers opinion of that of the board or pmc.
>
>So for next time 2003 - you have some options.
>
>1-	No seconding needed - just acceptance.

I would support 1. My concern was because I had seen people with no +1,
and I wanted every nominee having the opportunity to get voted. I felt
like I was spoiling my "+1" by not using them. :)

I don't think veto is right. Vetoes should be handled in the ballot. I
mean, I can argue someone is not the right person, but this should not
automatically discard them. The nomination mechanism is already giving a
filter on who will be proposed. The ability to veto could become a
problem if/when there are fighting fractions in the nominating group.

Re: Nominations, +1s, ...

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>.