Posted to user@ode.apache.org by Nazar Annagurban <na...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/24 13:43:05 UTC

Retrying whole scope or activity when a fault occurs

Hi,

Is it possible to retry the whole scope or its activities when a fault
occurs? Having a copy of the activities in the fault-handler would probably
do this, but what happens when a fault is thrown within a fault-handler?
Will the same fault-handler be activated? The scenario I have in mind is
that several activities are attempted at least 7 times before sending an
error response. I did some googling, Oracle's bpel product provides this
through fault policy file:

Retry: Provides the following actions for retrying the activity.

   -

   Retry a specified number of times.
   -

   Provide a delay between retries (in seconds).
   -

   Increase the interval with an exponential back off.
   -

   Chain to a retry failure action if retry N times fails.
   -

   Chain to a retry success action if a retry is successful.

A simple way of solving this would be incorporate this into the process
itself through BPEL, which is possible of course, however, if many several
scopes require this type of fault-handling, then it bloats the process file.
If anyone has any opinions or recommendations on this, please share :)

Happy holidays to everyone!

--
Nazar Annagurban