Posted to user@geode.apache.org by "Catanzarite, P. (Paul)" <Pa...@voya.com> on 2015/12/02 18:51:55 UTC

Locator high cpu

We have a gemfire client/server cluster that we've noticed our locator is running a sustained 50 - 100% cpu utilization.  We stopped all work in this environment (test) and the cpu has remained the same.  We are running gemfire v8.1, java 1.7 on linux VM RHEL 6.  Any suggestions on what to look at to see what may be causing this?
Thanks.
-Paul

NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is confidential and intended only for certain recipients.  If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication and any attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.

Re: Locator high cpu

Posted by Jens Deppe <jd...@pivotal.io>.
Sounds like it might be a GC issue. You can run 'jstat -gc <PID> 1s' to get
a view of the memory. OC is 'Old Gen Configured' (your max heap) and 'OU'
is Old Gen currently in use. If OU is close to OC, over time, and the FGC
column (Full GC count) increasing steadily then the CPU is definitely being
spent on GC.

You'll want to do a heap dump to see what's holding the memory - 'jmap
-histo:live <PID>' to get a nice histogram of the current heap or 'jmap
-dump:live,format=b,file=<dump-file-name>' to dump the actual heap for
actual object inspection.

--Jens

RE: Locator high cpu

Posted by "Catanzarite, P. (Paul)" <Pa...@voya.com>.
# free -m
Mem:          3825       3424        400          0        268        345
-/+ buffers/cache:       2811       1013
Swap:         8191         12       8179

I will send along thread dump output as soon as I can get it.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

Posted by Barry Oglesby <bo...@pivotal.io>.

RE: Locator high cpu

Posted by "Catanzarite, P. (Paul)" <Pa...@voya.com>.
Thanks for the feedback.

Re: Locator high cpu

Posted by Barry Oglesby <bo...@pivotal.io>.

Re: Locator high cpu

Posted by Barry Oglesby <bo...@pivotal.io>.

Re: Locator high cpu

Posted by Barry Oglesby <bo...@pivotal.io>.
Paul,

That is pretty high memory usage for a locator. Jens idea to get a
histogram or heap dump is a real good one. That'll help determine if there
is a memory leak.

Thanks,

RE: Locator high cpu

Posted by "Catanzarite, P. (Paul)" <Pa...@voya.com>.