Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> on 2006/07/09 12:25:16 UTC

Testing for production [was: Re: Blocking defect for JAMES v2.3]

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> OK, here is a scenario to reproduce.  In the root processor, add:
>
>   LogMessage
>   ToRepository (pre-header)
>   SetMimeHeader
>   LogMessage
>   ToRepository (post-header)
>   ToProcessor (test)
>
> Needless to say, all of the ToRepository mailets should have passThrough
> set.  And in the "test" processor, add:
>
>   LogMessage
>   ToRepository (post-processor)
>
> You could also instrument AvalonMailRepository.store to add
> mc.getMessage().writeTo(System.out) for debugging.  You will see that the
> message is fine until we write to the spool, at which point it is corrupt.
>
> Still looking, but will resume in the morning after checking e-mail.
>
> Bernd, we should have some round-trip testing that would detect this sort of
> problem.  :-)

What Postage today is already helpful at is building a "clean room"
environment. All mail is kept within. This is good for debugging or
staging to production.

It's not satisfying to see debugging going on on production systems.

What Postage does not support is provide means to inspect its received
emails. I take this as a todo. We would probably want to check headers,
sizes etc.
Until we have that I'd recommend to attach the debugger of your choice
to James (or Postage) to see what's happening.

   Bernd

RE: Testing for production [was: Re: Blocking defect for JAMES v2.3]

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Bernd Fondermann wrote:

> > Bernd, we should have some round-trip testing that would detect
> > this sort of problem.  :-)

> What Postage today is already helpful at is building a "clean room"
> environment. All mail is kept within. This is good for debugging or
> staging to production.

I know. :-)

> It's not satisfying to see debugging going on on production systems.

No kidding!  :-)

> What Postage does not support is provide means to inspect its received
> emails. I take this as a todo. We would probably want to check headers,
> sizes etc.

Exactly.  That was the point of my aside to you.  And see my reply to Norman
for another thought (re: scripting).

	--- Noel