Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Daniel Hinojosa <dh...@slashdotmedia.com> on 2013/10/04 02:42:50 UTC

Allura being presented at the Ottawa Linux Symposium

Hi folks,

I will be presenting a paper (in the process of being written as we speak)
at the Linux Symposium in Ottawa (https://www.linuxsymposium.org/) this
coming November.

I wanted folks here to be aware of this. Once the paper is published, I'll
make a link available to this group. Here is the abstract as currently set:

*Founded in 1999, SourceForge operated on an open source platform for years
before corporate decision to close the code base. In 2010 we started the
Allura project which was envisioned as an Open Source version of our site.*

*Allura was available for developers to use on SourceForge in 2011 and a
number of projects were migrated in 2012. With the 2013 migration to our
Allura platform, SourceForge has returned to an open source platform. The
decision to open the code base was driven by engineers, management backed,
and maximized through Apache incubation.*

*This paper will address the cultural shift needed to drive apps open, the
opportunity Apache incubation can provide, and how to optimize your
existing in-house development cycle to best accept community participation.*
Finally, so that there is no confusion, I plan to refer to Allura, at least
the first time in the paper, as, "Apache Allura Incubating." If there is a
different way I should be doing this, or if there is any preference for
reference to Apache, please let me know. I will be posting links to the
Apache site in reference to detail and data that is listed there.

Thank you,

Daniel.

--
*Daniel Hinojosa*
*Community Manager, SourceForge / Slashdot Media*