Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Jer Kah <je...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/20 17:15:29 UTC

RenderBlock and Block

Group,

  I need to create a 'scheduling' page which has a combo-box on it
that submits on change.  The combo box contains values "once",
"daily", "weekly", and "monthly".  So, for example, when the user
selects "Weekly", I need to render 7 checkboxes labelled "Sunday"
through "Saturday".  LIkewise, when the user selects Monthly, I need
to render 7 radio buttons labelled "Sunday" through "Saturday" and 4
additional radio buttons labelled "First" through "Fourth" ( for
scheduling an event on the second Wednesday of the month).

How do I do this dynamically?  I'm assuming I have to use the
RenderBlock and block components, but Tapestry in Action doesn't
really talk about them a whole lot.  How and where do I create these
components?

Thanks

Re: RenderBlock and Block

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
You do not _have_ to use Block/RenderBlock to do this.  You could
simply have @Conditional sections for each option.  I would do it that
way myself if/until such time as the options became more dynamic -
though that is unlikely in your example.

	Erik

RenderBlock and Block reprise

Posted by sales <sa...@digiatlas.net>.
I'm new to Tapestry (so perhaps I shouldn't be answering queries ;-)

Sounds like a stale link. I see someone has answered your problem by
suggesting a contrib version of the Conditional. I didn't know about that.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason for your
stale link was because you were updating the value the conditional was
based on before the rewind occurred. The way out of the problem is to
have a second variable, set it, then set the conditional variable on the
actual form submit. This is effectively what the contrib version does by
the seems of things.

Am I correct?  I'd like to make sure I'm fully understanding this.

dd

Re: RenderBlock and Block

Posted by Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com>.
When it is not very clear in advance what the different options that need to
be rendered are;
when they are many and conditionals are not that practical as a result;
when you want to decouple the rendering page from this type of content, so
you would not have to modify the page(s) when new content is added to the
system.

The last is particularly necessary when you have multiple pages or
components that need to render the given content and want to avoid
repetition.

Posted by Jer Kah <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: RenderBlock and Block

Posted by Jer Kah <je...@gmail.com>.