Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Per Kreipke <pe...@onclave.com> on 2002/07/17 10:24:03 UTC

[Q] Sunshine usage...

I like the concept and the depth of all the Sun* components in the
scratchpad in 2.0.3 and am eager to use them but there are some things I
can't quite understand (yes, it never ends):

- with the form handling simplification described in the documentation, the
results are put into a context in the user's session (as all the contexts
are). What then? What is the right way to complete form handling and
actually do something with the data?
 + Is it to use <sunshine:savexml>?
 + Shouldn't there be more error handling tags then to detect
success/failure?
 + Suppose it's a DB update, then upon a successful update, it needs to be
deleted from the context

- since the sunshine tags are only accessible through a transformer, how
does one embed logic around the use of the sunshine tags?

- since all the contexts are stored in the user's session and some are
modifiable, do changes to 'shared' contexts propagated to other users? Which
contexts have that property?

- if the user's session times out, are all his contexts (or some of them)
persisted?

Thanks, Per

RE: [Q] Sunshine usage...

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Per Kreipke wrote:

> I like the concept and the depth of all the Sun* components in the
> scratchpad in 2.0.3 and am eager to use them but there are some things I
> can't quite understand (yes, it never ends):
>

> - with the form handling simplification described in the
> documentation, the
> results are put into a context in the user's session (as all the contexts
> are). What then? What is the right way to complete form handling and
> actually do something with the data?
This depends (I really like this answer...) - the sunshine solution is very
simple and is actually a first implementation - it can be extended.
We often use this form handling for processing for form values - which means
the form values are automatically stored into a session context and are
then picked up by a processing pipeline and then stored into a database,
send per email etc.

>  + Is it to use <sunshine:savexml>?
If you want the values persistent - this is a possibility.

>  + Shouldn't there be more error handling tags then to detect
> success/failure?
Yes, these features were planned - but we never got time to implement
them - so any donation is welcome!

>  + Suppose it's a DB update, then upon a successful update, it needs to be
> deleted from the context

Perhaps the sunshine form handling is not the right approach for you. There
are other components in Cocoon (some db update actions, a validator action
etc)
which might be of more use for you.
And there are new form handling components in 2.1 - but to be honest, I
don't
know them and I don't know their current state.

> - since the sunshine tags are only accessible through a transformer, how
> does one embed logic around the use of the sunshine tags?
What do you exactly mean?
You can have an XML file containing XML tags for the session/sunshine
transformer
and for some logic transformers as well.

> - since all the contexts are stored in the user's session and some are
> modifiable, do changes to 'shared' contexts propagated to other
> users? Which
> contexts have that property?
There is currently no concept of shared contexts. They are all on a per
user base.

> - if the user's session times out, are all his contexts (or some of them)
> persisted?
The session contexts are not persistent - if you want them to be persistent
you have to manually save and load them (using savexml and loadxml).

Carsten

Carsten Ziegeler     Chief Architect     Open Source Group, S&N AG