Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Bill Barker <bi...@verizon.net> on 2012/04/15 03:03:37 UTC

xml-commons RIP

It seems that xml-commons' repository has gone away.  I found this out while
testing a local version of Gump that had no checkouts. Given that it is
stale, and in the boot-classpath of just about every ant project, it should
go away for modern JVMs.  I just want opinions on options. As I see it the
choices are:

1) leave the stale projects, but remove the boot attribute. Upside, least
amount of work. Downside, nobody will be able to set up a fresh Gump.
2) make the projects empty, and think of something for the couple of
projects that have a <property .../> depend (or just let them fail).
3) remove it completely and edit a large number of projects that refer to it
4) Ignore the problem completely until there is a break with the JVM.

My personal preference is in order 2,1,4,3, but want to hear other opinions
first.

Re: xml-commons RIP

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2012-04-15, Bill Barker wrote:

> So that gives the option 6) reset the <svn .../> tag to point to the
> new location That would make 6) my favorite now,

+1

> but still wonder if xml-api should still be on the boot classpath
> anymore with modern JVMs.

My guess is there will be builds that are going to break if you remove
it, in particular there will be some XSL transformations that don't work
with the built-in processor but with Xalan.  Maybe things have become
better with JDK6, but the version of XSLTC that ships as JDK5's trax
processor is really buggy.

> By 2) I meant something like : <project name="xml-api" /project> in
> the Gump metadata. It will resolve for the couple hundred ant projects
> that use it, but use the JVM's xml parser.

I don't have any strong opinion on this, it may be easier to just remove
the references from the ant projects (likely not a few hundred anymore).

At the very least the Ant project would want to keep it for test-ant, we
have a test-ant-no-xerces that uses the JVM defaults already.  If you
want to remove the bootclasspath setting, I can take care of the
test-ant case myself easily, so don't let that stop you.

Stefan

Re: xml-commons RIP

Posted by Bill Barker <bi...@verizon.net>.

>> It seems that xml-commons' repository has gone away.  I found this out
>> while
>> testing a local version of Gump that had no checkouts. Given that it is
>> stale, and in the boot-classpath of just about every ant project, it
>> should
>> go away for modern JVMs.  I just want opinions on options. As I see it
>> the
>> choices are:
>>
>> 1) leave the stale projects, but remove the boot attribute. Upside, least
>> amount of work. Downside, nobody will be able to set up a fresh Gump.
>> 2) make the projects empty, and think of something for the couple of
>> projects that have a <property .../> depend (or just let them fail).
>> 3) remove it completely and edit a large number of projects that refer to
>> it
>> 4) Ignore the problem completely until there is a break with the JVM.
>>
>> My personal preference is in order 2,1,4,3, but want to hear other
>> opinions
>> first.
>>

>I did not find it in ASF Attic so I went on looking into svn log. So I see
>that
>it was moved into "/xerces/xml-commons":
>
>http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1311708
>
>http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xerces/xml-commons/trunk/
>

>About the above list of options :
>I do not understand what you meant by 2). You clear the metadata file
>of that module? Or you meant start over with empty list of modules in
>profile/gump.xml?
>
>Regarding 3) the only projects that explicitly refer to xml-commons
>are ant, ant-1.8.x, xml-xerces2. That is not much. The rest should be
>an indirect dependency. I wonder whether Ant really needs it.
>
>When dealing with svn repositories it is also possible to 5) "freeze"
>them in time by setting certain peg and operative revisions. I do not
>know whether Gump supports that (as it defeats its purpose), but it
>might be doable.
>
>If those repository paths are passed to command-line client as is,
>this syntax might be already working:
>
> <svn repository="asf" dir="xml/commons/trunk@1311707"/>
>
I> am not doing any updates to the metadata now - I think you would
>better try on a standalone Gump that you have, because so many
>projects depend on it.
>
>Best regards,
>Konstantin Kolinko

Well, you did more research than me :). So that gives the option
6) reset the <svn .../> tag to point to the new location
That would make 6) my favorite now, but still wonder if xml-api should still
be on the boot classpath anymore with modern JVMs.

By 2) I meant something like :
<project name="xml-api" /project>
in the Gump metadata. It will resolve for the couple hundred ant projects
that use it, but use the JVM's xml parser.

There are a couple of old (and largely dead) projects that reference a
project in xml-api via a <property .../> tag. And almost every ant build
references it since it (used to be) needed at runtime to boot up ant.

Re: xml-commons RIP

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/4/15 Bill Barker <bi...@verizon.net>:
> It seems that xml-commons' repository has gone away.  I found this out while
> testing a local version of Gump that had no checkouts. Given that it is
> stale, and in the boot-classpath of just about every ant project, it should
> go away for modern JVMs.  I just want opinions on options. As I see it the
> choices are:
>
> 1) leave the stale projects, but remove the boot attribute. Upside, least
> amount of work. Downside, nobody will be able to set up a fresh Gump.
> 2) make the projects empty, and think of something for the couple of
> projects that have a <property .../> depend (or just let them fail).
> 3) remove it completely and edit a large number of projects that refer to it
> 4) Ignore the problem completely until there is a break with the JVM.
>
> My personal preference is in order 2,1,4,3, but want to hear other opinions
> first.

I did not find it in ASF Attic so I went on looking into svn log. So I see that
it was moved into "/xerces/xml-commons":

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xerces/xml-commons/trunk/

About the above list of options :
I do not understand what you meant by 2). You clear the metadata file
of that module? Or you meant start over with empty list of modules in
profile/gump.xml?

Regarding 3) the only projects that explicitly refer to xml-commons
are ant, ant-1.8.x, xml-xerces2. That is not much. The rest should be
an indirect dependency. I wonder whether Ant really needs it.

When dealing with svn repositories it is also possible to 5) "freeze"
them in time by setting certain peg and operative revisions. I do not
know whether Gump supports that (as it defeats its purpose), but it
might be doable.

If those repository paths are passed to command-line client as is,
this syntax might be already working:

  <svn repository="asf" dir="xml/commons/trunk@1311707"/>

I am not doing any updates to the metadata now - I think you would