Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by jan i <ja...@apache.org> on 2014/01/30 14:07:46 UTC

Beaten on our own turf ??

Hi.

There are about 2 days left of "call for papers" to apacheCon Denver
call for papers<http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-north-america/program/cfp>
apachecon 2014 <http://www.apachecon.com/>

Can it really be correct, that we are our representation at our "own"
conference is at minimum ?

All of you who consider going, should also consider giving a presentation.
There are room for 150 talks in total, so everything is welcome.

A talk about how do we cope with milllions of users, would be interesting
for a lot of other apache projects (and maybe give us more understanding
for our sometimes special needs).

A talk about our ecosystem, our presence in the social media etc, would be
equally interesting.

I cannot participate, but I help behind the scenes, and I promise to make
up for when apacheCon EU rolls out (it is now a fact that it will come this
autumn, city and time is still being negotiated).

If anybody want to give a presentation, but need help, please email me
directly, and I will try to help as much as I can.

Please lets show how big a project and ecosystem we are, submit a talk.

rgds
jan Iversen.

Re: Beaten on our own turf ??

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 31 January 2014 02:06, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org
> >wrote:
>
> > jan i wrote:
> >
> >> Can it really be correct, that we are our representation at our "own"
> >> conference is at minimum ?
> >> All of you who consider going, should also consider giving a
> presentation.
> >>

> > I definitely share the recommendation, but it is known that European
> > events attract more talks in our case. I think the situation wasn't much
> > different last year, honestly, with only a couple talks at ApacheCon US
> and
> > more activity at FOSDEM just a few weeks before that. And we had a full
> day
> > programme at ApacheCon Europe last time it was held (November 2012).
> >

> >  Please lets show how big a project and ecosystem we are, submit a talk.
> >>

> > We have many ways to show how big we are. I attend events every time it
> > makes sense to be there, sure. ApacheCon, with a non-trivial admission
> fee
> > for the general public (up to 1400$), is hardly an event where one can
> > expect to enlarge the community or create awareness outside of the people
> > who are already active in Apache. For those who haven't looked at
> > http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-north-
> > america/attend/register I must say that committers can enjoy a very good
> > discount this year, with the committer fee at 275$.
> >

> Thanks for sharing this -- I don't think we've received any widespread
> notification of this discount.

Its even better, get a talk accepted, and the entrance is 0,- $ so in other
words you get between 275$ and 1.400$ for speaking about your hobby, not
bad.

rgds
jan I

Re: Beaten on our own turf ??