Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tom Sherrod <to...@unx.sas.com> on 2002/10/01 20:34:39 UTC

shutdown.sh hangs to the process

SunOS 5.8, java 1.3.1_01, tomcat 4.0.5

When I run shutdown.sh, it completes but the java process remains.
It does not respond to calls either.  A hard kill had to be done on the
process.
How might I debug the problem?  I'd like shutdown to work for automatic
restarts, etc.

Thanks.

Tom Sherrod

Re: shutdown.sh hangs to the process

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Do a kill -3 (I think) on the java process to get a thread dump after
the incomplete shutdown. It will tell you the threads that are still
running. Look for the non-daemon threads. The kill results usually go to
standard output of the java process.

The JVM does not shutdown until all non-daemon threads have ceased to run.