Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2006/06/28 12:09:58 UTC

Re: [classlib] integration of swing/awt

On 28 June 2006 at 4:55, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> What's the status of the integration of HARMONY-528, the swing/awt
> contrib?

The original contribution is in svn.  The java code is integrated.

If you manually set out the depends/libs/build tree - with libjpeg,
libpng, liblcms - then the native code can be built by adding:

  -Dwith.awt.swing=true

(Incidentally, I'd appreciate some testing/feedback on the
-Dwith.awt.swing=true build on Windows.  Especially if we want to
include awt/swing in a snapshot later this week.)

However, there is still work to do to integrate the native code properly
(where "properly" means in using ant files in the style of the existing
module natives - at least those Oliver has moved).

I'm doing the misc natives at the moment - Linux took half an hour
before breakfast but windows it taking ... err ... longer.

I'm reluctant to do the awt natives until we have a scripts for
constructing the depends/libs/build tree - I have something that might
help for Linux I will commit it later today hopefully.  The swing
natives are done (well, there aren't any ;-).

> Would you consider it done?

No, but if you consider my first sentence above sufficient then maybe it
is.

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: [classlib] integration of swing/awt

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
Tim, thanks for the link.
It seems that it will be better to send a request to
legal-discuss@apache.org mailing list.

SY, Alexey

2006/6/28, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
> Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> > BTW, I'm trying to play with prebuilt libraries from GnuWin32 project
> > (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuwin32/). They have needed versions
> > of jpeg and png libraries. But lcms library is too old.
> >
> > I've build awt natives with this libraries but can not run them yet
> > since I can not build and run DRLVM :( Will try with IBM VM...
> >
> > Even if AWT will work ok with this libraries we got few issues with them:
> > 1. lcms library is too old. Probably we can ask project owners to update
> > it.
> > 2. These libraries are using zlib1.dll. But we renamed this dll in Harmony.
> >
> > Another big question is: Is it legal for us to use and redistribute as
> > part of HDK these precompiled libraries?
> > Thoughts? Geir? Tim?
>
> FYI: here's some guidance of how different licensed code can be used:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html
>
> Note that, AFAIK, this is still /proposed/ policy.
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>
> > SY, Alexey
> >
> > 2006/6/28, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>:

> >> FYI: The instructions for creating the depends tree
> >> are in section "5. BUILDING THE EXTERNAL LIBRARIES" of
> >> modules/awt_swing_contribution/modules/README.txt
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>  Mark.

> Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
> IBM Java technology centre, UK.