Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by "Simpson, Jeff" <js...@ifinance.com> on 2000/10/23 19:10:24 UTC

SSL client Certs

Does Secure SOAP support certs on both the Server and the Client.  We want
to issue our clients certs and require them when they connect

Jeffrey V. Simpson
Senior Software Engineer
iFINANCE
Phone: 202.833.4949
Fax: 202.833.3819

Re: SSL client Certs

Posted by nathanwray <nw...@mich.com>.
Jeff, attached is some client code that supports client certs.  It
assumes JSSE.  This stuff is a little non-trivial to get configured
properly so be prepared to spend some time on it.  All the real work
happens in the JSSE libs.

You'll need to set up the server to require specific client certs, this
is an Apache config issue but I think it's pretty well documented if you
look around.  YMMV.

This is based on some demo code I got from Chris Barrett at Thyron Ltd.,
and I think he based it off someone else's work.  Kudos to those
involved.

-Nathan

--
Nathan Wray
nwray@mich.com

Re: SSL client Certs

Posted by nathanwray <nw...@mich.com>.

--
Nathan Wray
nwray@mich.com

Re: SSL client Certs

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.

Not in the upcoming version but it would be easy to add in later. Is this a hard requirement, please? What kind of application server will
you be using since they not all support client certificates (or even HTTP1.1, as I noticed from the forum feedback) uniformly. Even
Tomcat3.2B1 does not support HTTP1.1 but IMHO behind Apache it has a 'kind of' Client Certificate Interface.
Please let me know your required time frame and Application Server type. Could you help with testing of the Certificate interface, please?
Thank you - George

Re: SSL client Certs

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.