Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2001/12/03 01:40:47 UTC

Re: servlet invoker

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Laurent Michenaud wrote:

> Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:58:11 +0100
> From: Laurent Michenaud <lm...@adeuza.fr>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: servlet invoker
>
> With Tomcat 3.3, we can see that in the default server.xml
>
>       <!-- Non-standard invoker, for backward compat. ( /servlet/* )
>            Provides support for the "/servlet/class name" legacy method
> of invoking servlets
>       -->
>       <InvokerInterceptor />
>
> if i comment this invoker, my servlet doesnot work anymore.
>
> It tells about backward compat... what's the new standard ?
> and how to use servlet with this new one ?

Invoker servlet capability (/servlet/*) has long been a feature of Tomcat,
but it is *not* defined in the Servlet specification, so you cannot rely
on it in portable web applications.

The portable mechanism for mapping request URLs to particular servlets is
the <servlet-mapping> element in the web application deployment descriptor
(/WEB-INF/web.xml).  See the web.xml file in the "examples" application
that ships with Tomcat to get the basic idea.  For a full definition of
what is supported, see the Servlet Specification which you can download
at:

  http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html

> Michenaud Laurent

Craig McClanahan