Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca> on 2005/12/01 19:02:24 UTC

Upgrading Tomcat

I need some basic information regarding upgrades to Tomcat.

I haven't written any servlets in many months and have not followed the
various updates made to Tomcat. When I go to
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi, I see that there are several
different current versions of Tomcat available, including 5.5.13-beta,
5.5.12, 5.0.30-beta and 5.0.28. Also, as someone interested in a binary
distribution, I see that there are several subsets of code for each Tomcat
version: "Core", "Deployer", "Embedded", "Administration" and "JDK 1.4
Compatibility Package".

Can someone answer some questions for me?

1. What are the major differences between the 5.0.x stream and the 5.5.x
stream? In other words, what factors should I weigh in deciding which stream
I should use? I tend to prefer to take the latest possible version that is
stable and then stay with that a fair while so that I don't have to update
Tomcat too frequently, which suggests 5.5.12 as my best bet, but I'm not
sure if that's a good strategy in this case because I'm not clear on the
different between 5.0.x and 5.5.x. Perhaps I'd be smarter to use 5.0.x until
5.5.x is further along?

2. Are 5.5.12 and 5.0.28 both fairly stable and robust?

3. Do I need to download/install all of the different "bundles" for each
version, i.e. will I need "Core" AND "Deployer" AND "Embedded" and
"Administration Web Application" AND "JDK 1.4 Compatibility Package" or is
"Core" alone sufficient? Do I need JDK 1.4 Compatibility if I develop
primarily in J2SE 1.5? For that matter is it okay to use J2SE 1.5 with
Tomcat or does Tomcat only support 1.4?

4. Is Sysdeo still the plugin of choice to use for Servlet development in
Eclipse? Is Lomboz still the plugin of choice to  use for JSP development in
Eclipse? (I've never really tried a JSP but I might give it a go one of
these days :-)

Rhino

Re: Upgrading Tomcat

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@webtuitive.com>.
Rhino wrote:

> 1. What are the major differences between the 5.0.x stream and the 5.5.x
> stream?

The only one I really care about is 5.5 is perceptibly faster :-)

> 2. Are 5.5.12 and 5.0.28 both fairly stable and robust?

I'm running several production sites on 5.5.9, no problems.

> 3. Do I need to download/install all of the different "bundles" for each
> version...

Core (and manager, if you use it) are all you need, if you're
running Java 1.5.

> 4. ...Eclipse?...

Sorry, can't say -- not an Eclipse user.

FWIW!

                          dream.  code.

Re: Upgrading Tomcat

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Rhino wrote:
> 4. Is Sysdeo still the plugin of choice to use for Servlet development
> in Eclipse? Is Lomboz still the plugin of choice to  use for JSP
> development in Eclipse? (I've never really tried a JSP but I might give
> it a go one of these days :-)

My personal preference is MyEclipse.

Mark