Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Sharath Reddy <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2004/04/14 14:43:01 UTC

how to use JSF tree control in a Struts application?

hello,

i have an existing struts application, and i need to
add a tree control. i thought i would take a look at
JSF. however, the only concrete example i found for
integrating struts and JSF:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-integrate/

deals only with a simple form. is it possible to use
the tree control? how do i distinguish between the
different kinds of clicks (node expanded vs. leaf
selected) in my struts action class?

thanks!

sharath

Re: how to use JSF tree control in a Struts application?

Posted by snpe <sn...@snpe.co.yu>.
On Thursday 15 April 2004 04:43 pm, Craig McClanahan wrote:

> OK.  So, what happens if you do *not* make the validation.xml change
> above?  (Trying to narrow down the possibilities here).
>
> FWIW, I've been testing struts-faces against the Struts 1.1 release, not
> the HEAD of CVS, since that is what most people will be using it with.
> Yes, I do indeed need to test against the latest code too, but you could
> be encountering issues because of things that have changed since 1.1.
>
> Craig

I start from begining -
  - download struts-faces-20040407.tar.gz
  - add jsf libraries  in WEB-INF/lib and jsf tlds WEB-INF

all libraries are from struts-faces and JSF 1.0 final - I add only log4j-1.2.8.jar
(I have one applications from dbforms distribution - bookstore.war and after deploy this application
I have to have commons-loggings and log4j libs in all applications - I don't know why)

tomcat 5.0.19 start struts-faces fine
 - call localhost:8080/struts-faces and this work
 - register users work fine (I try empty filed and get errors fine)
 - I register user abcd (4 char) and it work fine)
 - log off
 - log on with abcd (password abcd) work fine
 - log off
 - log on and click button 'Log on' with empty username and password and this is error :
type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:358)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:301)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:248)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)
	com.sun.faces.context.ExternalContextImpl.dispatch(ExternalContextImpl.java:322)
	com.sun.faces.application.ViewHandlerImpl.renderView(ViewHandlerImpl.java:142)
	com.sun.faces.lifecycle.RenderResponsePhase.execute(RenderResponsePhase.java:87)
	com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.phase(LifecycleImpl.java:200)
	com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.render(LifecycleImpl.java:117)
	javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:198)

root cause

java.lang.NullPointerException
	javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.encodeBegin(UIComponentBase.java:676)
	javax.faces.component.UIViewRoot.encodeBegin(UIViewRoot.java:323)
	javax.faces.webapp.UIComponentTag.encodeBegin(UIComponentTag.java:574)
	javax.faces.webapp.UIComponentTag.doStartTag(UIComponentTag.java:461)
	org.apache.jsp.logon_jsp._jspx_meth_s_errors_0(logon_jsp.java:131)
	org.apache.jsp.logon_jsp._jspService(logon_jsp.java:104)
	org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:133)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:311)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:301)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:248)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)
	com.sun.faces.context.ExternalContextImpl.dispatch(ExternalContextImpl.java:322)
	com.sun.faces.application.ViewHandlerImpl.renderView(ViewHandlerImpl.java:142)
	com.sun.faces.lifecycle.RenderResponsePhase.execute(RenderResponsePhase.java:87)
	com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.phase(LifecycleImpl.java:200)
	com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.render(LifecycleImpl.java:117)
	javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:198)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/5.0 logs.
Apache Tomcat/5.0

Re: how to use JSF tree control in a Struts application?

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by snpe <sn...@snpe.co.yu>.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by snpe <sn...@snpe.co.yu>.
I compile struts-faces2 from cvs and i get next error when I try log in
(I register, log off and try log in) :

HTTP Status 500 -

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
Hi,