Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Fred Fiat <fr...@inbox.com> on 2006/06/22 17:00:12 UTC

[users@httpd] SSL proxy - just one public ip address

Hello,

I need to workaround a problem of having very few public
ip addresses, but lots of websites that require SSL.

Is there a way I can use an Apache reverse proxy so that
it hands out the correct SSL certificate based on the
virtual host that the client requests?

If not, are there any other workarounds?

Thanks a lot.

Re: [users@httpd] SSL proxy - just one public ip address

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 6/22/06, Fred Fiat <fr...@inbox.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to workaround a problem of having very few public
> ip addresses, but lots of websites that require SSL.
>
> Is there a way I can use an Apache reverse proxy so that
> it hands out the correct SSL certificate based on the
> virtual host that the client requests?

No, because the certificate is chosen before the client ever says what
hostname it is interested in.

> If not, are there any other workarounds?

Use different ports for each site.  Other than that, no.

Joshua.