Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Arnab Ganguly <ag...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/19 15:50:12 UTC

[users@httpd] Memory occupied and number of files open

Hi,
How much Apache occupies memory and number of files it opens for each client
request of the MaxClient value?If it is dependent on the system , how do we
find out?Looking forward for your response.
Thanks
-A

Re: [users@httpd] Memory occupied and number of files open

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 4/19/07, Arnab Ganguly <ag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> How much Apache occupies memory and number of files it opens for each client
> request of the MaxClient value?If it is dependent on the system , how do we
> find out?Looking forward for your response.

Yes, it is system and configuration dependent. For memory, you can use
tools like "top" or "ps". For open files, "lsof" is the standard, I
believe.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Memory occupied and number of files open

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
Arnab,

Arnab Ganguly wrote:

> How much Apache occupies memory and number of files it opens for each
> client request of the MaxClient value?

Depends on your configuration and the extra bells and whistles.

One for each listener.
One each for ErrorLog, TransferLog, CustomLog etc.
One or more (depending on mod_include) for each request served from the
file system, as it is served
One for each back-end connection through mod_proxy, mod_jk if you use that.
One for each connection to MySQL from PHP if you use that.

The prefork MPM has the above per process.

The Worker MPM shares open log files and listener file descriptors, but
might run into limitations regarding the number of files it opens to
serve requests.

See ulimit -n.

> If it is dependent on the system ,
> how do we find out?Looking forward for your response.

That depends on your operating system.  On unix-like platforms, lsof
should be able to give you that information but I can't tell you how
(because I don't know how... I'd run lsof and grep for the name of the
process).

S.