Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by aquero <ar...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/04 17:53:45 UTC

spam score limit adivse

Hi,
  What is the maximum allowed spam score value for a legitimate mail? What
value should i set as the spam score limit?

Re: spam score limit adivse

Posted by NFN Smith <wo...@mail.com>.
aquero wrote:

> Hi,
>    What is the maximum allowed spam score value for a legitimate mail? What
> value should i set as the spam score limit?

On my own servers, I lean towards being a little extra conservative.  I
don't tag subject lines until the score reaches 6.  However, if the
score gets to 15 points, then I consider the message to be sufficiently
spammy that it's safe to reject.  I don't think I've ever seen a
legitimate message score more than about 12 points.  The one exception
is that occasionally, FuzzyOCR will mis-fire on a low-contrast image,
such as a scan of an old newspaper article, or a screen-dump image.

For crafting of local rules (and I make lots of use of metas, where
significant scores are added only in very specific combinations of hits
on low-scoring or zero-scoring rules), one of the things that I tend to
do on scoring is if I'm fairly sure that a rule is going to hit only
spam, is that I will score a rule at 5.5 points.  The idea is that I'm
not positive that the message won't hit any non-spam, but providing only
a little bit of space for hitting other rules.

Smith

Re: spam score limit adivse

Posted by aquero <ar...@gmail.com>.

Jari Fredriksson wrote:

> On 4.6.2010 18:53, aquero wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>   What is the maximum allowed spam score value for a legitimate mail?
>> What
>> value should i set as the spam score limit?
>
> The default is 5 and that value works best for any installation, as the
> stock rules are configured using that value.
>
> You have it at 2 in your another post, that is very dangerous value,
> false positives will come.
>
> --
> http://www.iki.fi/jarif/
> I use PGP. If there is an incompatibility problem with your mail
> client, please contact me.
>
> You may be gone tomorrow, but that doesn't mean that you weren't here
> today.

thank you for your reply...:)

Re: spam score limit adivse

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.