Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2003/06/04 09:09:39 UTC

[5.0] fileupload 1.0 RC 1 API breakage

FileUpload.setRepositoryPath(String) and FileItem(String) were removed
from the fileupload RC 1 release, which breaks the Tomcat 4.1.x and
5.0.x build. The first method has no apparent replacement (but I didn't
try to dig around).

This is clearly an unacceptable situation from the Tomcat perspective
:-( I'm hoping there can be positive solutions to the problem ...

Remy

Re: [5.0] fileupload 1.0 RC 1 API breakage

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
The attached works for me (against commons-fileupload HEAD).  I didn't do
anything about it since I wasn't sure which version of fileupload we were
targeting.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:

> In hometree.jakarta.commons.dev you write:
>
> [Turbine-Dev as Cc for a Heads Up]
>
> Hi,
>
> as we (Turbine) might have that problem too (I'm currently shaping up
> our jar dependencies for an upcoming 2.3rc1 release of Turbine and
> we're still at 1.0-beta-1 with fileupload but will definitely go to
> the RC / release of commons-fileupload), could you please point me at
> the patch / send it to me? Thanks.

The patch (against HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-4.0 is attached.

> >I posted a patch to the Tomcat-Dev list yesterday which should fix this
> >problem. Apparently, nobody on the Tomcat-Dev list paid any attention to
> >my post. The methods in question have been deprecated for some time.
>
> >I have gone out of my way to help FileUpload clients avoid exactly this
> >kind of issue. It really ticks me off to see this kind of message, when I
> >have gone to great lengths to make sure that the clients I know about are
> >made aware of the changes before they happen.
>
> Just tell me what we need to do. However, you seem to have missed that
> Turbine is using commons-fileupload.

No, I didn't miss that. I know Turbine is dependent on FileUpload, since
that is where the original code base came from. However, I was waiting for
a FileUpload-related Gump failure to tell me what broke, and then I would
have posted a patch. The problem is that it seems the Turbine Gump build
is failing because of a prereq failure, so it didn't get far enough to
break because of FileUpload changes. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 7:38 -0500 6/4/03, Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>Was this really necessary?  The email below went to both the commons-dev and
>tomcat -dev lists.  If Remy was pointing the finger at anyone, it was at his
>fellow Tomcat Developers.  Thats how I interpreted it.

Martin has been busting his tail trying to get FileUpload released so
that Struts can make a full 1.1 release, and I'm sure he's just a
little frustrated that other projects which have a dependency on the
library aren't participating very much in the bug cleanup, or,
apparently, the commons-dev mailing list where this was discussed
thoroughly before the change happened.  In fact, Martin was reluctant
to remove the deprecated methods completely, and other developers
here on commons-dev pointed out that there is no guarantee of API in
unreleased software.

When I read the message from Remy, I read it as a jab at FileUpload.
And since Martin has basically been a one-man FileUpload team for
several weeks (while being busy in his real life), he took it
personally.  Rereading Remy's message, I can see why Glenn read it as
being "spoken to" the tomcat-dev list, with commons-dev as more of a
'cc'.  But that's not how I read it originally.

I'd think at least one committer on any major open-source project
should be committed to monitoring the status of each library that
project depends on -- if someone had been doing that, this would not
have been a surprise.

Just a bystander...
	Joe

Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com
http://blog.germuska.com
"If nature worked that way, the universe would crash all the time."
	--Jaron Lanier

Re: [5.0] fileupload 1.0 RC 1 API breakage

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Glenn Nielsen wrote:
> Martin Cooper wrote:
>
>> Get your own act together, Tomcat developers, before you start pointing
>> the finger at those of us who really try hard to maintain compatibility
>> across Jakarta projects.
>>

> Was this really necessary?  The email below went to both the commons-dev
> and
> tomcat -dev lists.  If Remy was pointing the finger at anyone, it was at
> his
> fellow Tomcat Developers.  Thats how I interpreted it.
>
> We (tomcat devs) will fix use of FileUpload in Tomcat and move on, no
> big deal.

Sorry for the tone of the original email; I wasn't upset anyway, it was
just a quickly drafted email this morning before leaving to work (having
no access to my Apache email during the day).

BTW, I am not subscribed to commons-dev. I saw about the new Disk*
classes browsing archives, but didn't do a parallel.

One last note: IMO, as a rule (and esp in the commons), you should make
every effort to avoid breaking the API between a beta and a final.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> Martin Cooper wrote:
> > I posted a patch to the Tomcat-Dev list yesterday which should fix this
> > problem. Apparently, nobody on the Tomcat-Dev list paid any attention to
> > my post. The methods in question have been deprecated for some time.
> >

> I have not seen the patch email on tomcat-dev.  Perhaps its in the moderator
> queue.  BTW, use of FileUpload was implemented in Tomcat once there was a
> Beta release of FileUpload. So the API must have changed since the Beta release.

I don't think it's in the moderator queue, since it showed up in the GMane
newsgroup already. Perhaps I should have made it more obvious - I replied
to the Gump failure message, thinking that people would pay attention to
those, and supplied a patch to fix the Gump failure.

Yes, the API has changed since Beta 1.

> > I have gone out of my way to help FileUpload clients avoid exactly this
> > kind of issue. It really ticks me off to see this kind of message, when I
> > have gone to great lengths to make sure that the clients I know about are
> > made aware of the changes before they happen.
> >

> Thats great that you performed notifications to known clients.  :-) Somehow
> Tomcat slipped through the cracks.  :-( I don't recall seeing anything about
> this on the Tomcat list.  I wlll admit that I subscribe to commons-dev but
> often don't keep up with messages related to the code bases there I am interested in.
>
> > Get your own act together, Tomcat developers, before you start pointing
> > the finger at those of us who really try hard to maintain compatibility
> > across Jakarta projects.
> >

> Was this really necessary?  The email below went to both the commons-dev and
> tomcat -dev lists.  If Remy was pointing the finger at anyone, it was at his
> fellow Tomcat Developers.  Thats how I interpreted it.

>From the Tomcat developers' perspective, and if it had been posted only to
tomcat-dev, no, I don't think it was necessary.

>From my perspective, and because it was copied to commons-dev, yes, I do
think it was necessary. Everyone should know that nightly builds are wide
open as far as changes go. But it seems that any time I even touch the
FileUpload API, I get complaints when a nightly build fails. This time, it
was from the Tomcat folks. The last time, it was from the Tapestry folks.

When I change the API, I look to see who declares a dependency on it in
Gump, and then look to see if the associated Gump build fails. In this
case, the Tomcat Gump build failed, and I supplied a patch. In the case of
Tapestry, they keep their Gump descriptor to themselves, so I wasn't aware
of the dependency. In any case, I suspect that I go further to keep Gump
builds happy than most other people do.

> We (tomcat devs) will fix use of FileUpload in Tomcat and move on, no big deal.

Thank you.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.