Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2006/04/06 17:28:22 UTC

[1.4] RevisionController actions still needed?

Hi Lenya devs,

do we still need the RevisionController related actions?

   - DiscoverCheckoutAction
   - ReservedCheck*Action
   - RevisionControllerAction

IIUC they violate the principle that actions should have
no side effects.

Apart from this, I'd suggest to move away from actions anyway
due to their ambiguous nature and instead use

- selectors to control sitemap flow
- the usecase framework for user interaction

Any objections to removing them?

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann
andreas.hartmann@wyona.com                     andreas@apache.org

Re: [1.4] RevisionController actions still needed?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El jue, 06-04-2006 a las 17:28 +0200, Andreas Hartmann escribió:
>> Hi Lenya devs,
>>
>> do we still need the RevisionController related actions?
>>
>>    - DiscoverCheckoutAction
>>    - ReservedCheck*Action
>>    - RevisionControllerAction
>>
>> IIUC they violate the principle that actions should have
>> no side effects.
>>
>> Apart from this, I'd suggest to move away from actions anyway
>> due to their ambiguous nature and instead use
>>
>> - selectors to control sitemap flow
>> - the usecase framework for user interaction
>>
>> Any objections to removing them?
>
> not from me.
>
> I assume Andreas has set "Lazy approval", so if nobody is casting -1 he
> will go ahead and do it.
>
> http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#approvals

Thanks for the pointer :)
I'll wait some more days and then search the codebase for
references to these actions and remove them if I won't
find any. Dead code should be removed, especially if it
violates our design.

-- Andreas

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.
El jue, 06-04-2006 a las 17:28 +0200, Andreas Hartmann escribió:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> do we still need the RevisionController related actions?
>
>    - DiscoverCheckoutAction
>    - ReservedCheck*Action
>    - RevisionControllerAction
>
> IIUC they violate the principle that actions should have
> no side effects.
>
> Apart from this, I'd suggest to move away from actions anyway
> due to their ambiguous nature and instead use
>
> - selectors to control sitemap flow
> - the usecase framework for user interaction
>
> Any objections to removing them?

not from me.

I assume Andreas has set "Lazy approval", so if nobody is casting -1 he
will go ahead and do it.

http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#approvals

salu2
--