Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Bhavesh Patel <bh...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2018/09/26 22:18:27 UTC

Have a patch to contribute to fix a lookup issue in Log4j 2

Hi,   I have filed an issue regarding an issue with ResourceBundleLookup in Log4j 2. The issue is logged at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2455. As mentioned in the comment of the bug, I have a fix for this issue and can also update the test to verify the fix. I have experience contributing to OpenSource project as I am a contributor and a reviewer on OpenJDK (http://openjdk.java.net/census#bpatel) and my contribution to the OpenJDK project can be viewed at (http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk/search/?rev=author%28bpatel%29&revcount=2560). Let me know if the Log4j 2 community would like me to work on contributing this fix to the project. Any pointers on becoming a contributor to the project would be really helpful.
Regards,Bhavesh.

Re: Have a patch to contribute to fix a lookup issue in Log4j 2

Posted by Bhavesh Patel <bh...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 Hi Remko/Ralph,                            If you can just verify the bug that I have filed and reply to it or something, it would be great. I just want to make sure that i am not missing something and this is indeed a bug in the ResourceBundleLookup.
Thanks,Bhavesh.

    On Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 4:15:49 PM PDT, Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Hi,

Yes, contributions are very welcome!
You already raised a JIRA ticket, that’s great.
Next step is to provide a pull request with your fix. Please include unit tests and (if applicable) documentation updates. Please prefix commit messages with the JIRA ticket number.

Log4j targets Java 7 but also has a Java 9 module, so there’s some setup required, see https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/build.html

The Guidelines page https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/guidelines.html and Style Guide page https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/javastyle.html are also useful.

Enjoy!
Remko

(Shameless plug) Every java main() method deserves http://picocli.info

Posted by Bhavesh Patel <bh...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 Thanks so much. Let me look into it and I can submit a pull request once I have it ready.
Regards,Bhavesh.

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
If you have a fix the easiest thing to do is to create a pull request at GitHub. If it has a unit test to validate the problem and the fix it will almost certainly be applied.

As far as getting commit rights, that generally happens after someone has contributed several patches, participated to some degree on the developers list and/or shown that they understand how the project works and can play well with others.

Ralph