Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jennifer Wagner <j....@signsoft.com> on 2006/05/03 16:04:54 UTC

[*] History of Commons

Hello,

Did anybody write down the history of Jakarta Commons? I couldn't find
anything. Because of the charter 1.0 I suppose it started in March 2001.
The first release I found was made in July 2001 (collections).

Maybe I can get more detailed information, but where?

Thank you,
Jennifer

Re: [*] History of Commons

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 09:44 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> I don't think anythings written down, so the direction would be
> personal interviews, svn logs and mailing list history.

+1

the ASF is self-recording: we try to keep our development as open and
public as possible.

> > Did anybody write down the history of Jakarta Commons? I couldn't find
> > anything. Because of the charter 1.0 I suppose it started in March 2001.
> > The first release I found was made in July 2001 (collections).
> >
> > Maybe I can get more detailed information, but where?

the early history is recorded on the jakarta-commons@jakarta.apache.org.
unfortunately, i'm having problems finding a public archive for this
list. if you need information from this list, i'll see if we can archive
it.

the list is then split into
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-dev/ and
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-user/ and
continues to the present.

the pre-history of jakarta-commons (the events leading up the formation
of the commons) is to be found on
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-general/ plus the
(private) pmc and board lists.

- robert

Re: [*] History of Commons

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
I don't think anythings written down, so the direction would be
personal interviews, svn logs and mailing list history.

CVS/SVN-wise, as I happen to have a log for Commons already created,
the first commits were on the 26th of March 2001 by Craig McClanahan:

r128454 | craigmcc | 2001-03-26 21:33:07 -0800 (Mon, 26 Mar 2001) | 2 lines
Changed paths:
   A /jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils/trunk/conf
   A /jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils/trunk/conf/MANIFEST.MF
   A /jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils/trunk/src/test
   A /jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils/trunk/src/test/org
   A /jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils/trunk/src/test/org/apache
   A /jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils/trunk/src/test/org/apache/commons
   A /jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils/trunk/src/test/org/apache/commons/beanutils
   A /jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils/trunk/src/test/org/apache/commons/beanutils/PropertyUtilsTestCase.java
   A /jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils/trunk/src/test/org/apache/commons/beanutils/TestBean.java

Initial check-in of 'BeanUtils' component.

This was followed a few days later by Morgan Delagrange committing to
the xmlunit component (which never made it out of the sandbox).

Geir Magnusson Jr also committed to BeanUtils in that month.

In case it's of use, here's the log file I've already got prepared. It
lacks the last month of data, and due to the nature of the cvs to
subversion migration, it's not in date order.

http://people.apache.org/~bayard/COMMONS.LOG.gz

Hen

Re: [*] History of Commons

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 5/3/06, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 5/3/06, Jennifer Wagner <j....@signsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Did anybody write down the history of Jakarta Commons? I couldn't find
> > anything. Because of the charter 1.0 I suppose it started in March 2001.
> > The first release I found was made in July 2001 (collections).
>

> Those sound about right.
>
> You might want to peruse the various books that have been written about
> Jakarta Commons[1][2][3][4] as well -- they might have some historical notes
> in the introductions.  (I haven't read any of them, so don't know for sure.)

Nothing in Jakarta Commons Cookbook, or my draft of Pro Jakarta
Commons. Vikram Goyal's book is as a series of e-chapters, so there's
no introductory chapter where history might live.

Hen

Re: [*] History of Commons

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 5/3/06, Jennifer Wagner <j....@signsoft.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Did anybody write down the history of Jakarta Commons? I couldn't find
> anything. Because of the charter 1.0 I suppose it started in March 2001.
> The first release I found was made in July 2001 (collections).

Those sound about right.

You might want to peruse the various books that have been written about
Jakarta Commons[1][2][3][4] as well -- they might have some historical notes
in the introductions.  (I haven't read any of them, so don't know for sure.)

Maybe I can get more detailed information, but where?

> Thank you,
> Jennifer

Craig

[1] http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jakartackbk/