Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/19 07:35:38 UTC

[collections] 3.3 issues

Here's a peek at some of the interesting issues in the 3.3 TODO list
that need discussion:

* COLLECTIONS-238 - Allowing ExtendedProperties to have empty values.
ie) "foo="  would result in a key of foo existing.

Is anyone concerned about backwards compatibility with that? I'm happy
with it - it seems to me that it is how that should have worked, and
people shouldn't be commenting out by removing the value rather than
putting a comment in front.

* Serializable - COLLECTIONS-240, COLLECTIONS-285, COLLECTIONS-221,
COLLECTIONS-267, COLLECTIONS-266. Basically we need some Serializable
test love.

* COLLECTIONS-265 is ready for committing. So any nay-sayers, speak
now or reopen later.

* Specifically for James Carman - how does Dave's patch to your
COLLECTIONS-194 look?

Hen

Re: [collections] 3.3 issues

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 7:52 AM, Niall Pemberton
>
>> Perhaps if its going to be a
>>  while before 3.3 release gets out, then we could just release
>>  Collections 3.2.1 which is just 3.2 re-packaged ready for OSGi. I
>>  could do that if 3.3 is going to be delayed.
>
> Might be worth it.

That would be awesome!

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: [collections] 3.3 issues

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
<ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
>  > Just curious, what's the current state? In Apache Sling we would need an
>  > OSGi enabled release in two weeks :) Now, don't get me wrong, I don't want
>  > to push or force you to do a release (especially as I'm not able to help
>  > with the open issues). I would just like to know, if it might be possible
>  > that we have the release by then? If not, it's no problem, and we'll create
>  > an interims wrapper bundle and switch to the release as soon as it is
>  > available.
>
>  From looking at JIRA theres currently 10 open issues left targetted at
>  3.3.

Of those, I think these are the important ones and others can be punted:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS-240
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS-285
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS-266
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS-221

Basically the serializing issues.

> Not sure how much effort would be involved in getting those fixed
>  - hopefully Henri will respond on that and how likely/soon he thinks
>  they will get fixed for a 3.3 release.

I doubt a release would be out in 2 weeks. If all issues were fixed, 2
weeks would probably be the length of time needed to get the release
out, so you've got the code above to add onto that and no one has been
volunteering to dig into the pain of figuring out the serialization
tests :)

Re: [collections] 3.3 issues

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> Just curious, what's the current state? In Apache Sling we would need an
> OSGi enabled release in two weeks :) Now, don't get me wrong, I don't want
> to push or force you to do a release (especially as I'm not able to help
> with the open issues). I would just like to know, if it might be possible
> that we have the release by then? If not, it's no problem, and we'll create
> an interims wrapper bundle and switch to the release as soon as it is
> available.

>From looking at JIRA theres currently 10 open issues left targetted at
3.3. Not sure how much effort would be involved in getting those fixed
- hopefully Henri will respond on that and how likely/soon he thinks
they will get fixed for a 3.3 release. Perhaps if its going to be a
while before 3.3 release gets out, then we could just release
Collections 3.2.1 which is just 3.2 re-packaged ready for OSGi. I
could do that if 3.3 is going to be delayed.

Niall

Re: [collections] 3.3 issues

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Henri Yandell wrote:
> Here's a peek at some of the interesting issues in the 3.3 TODO list
> that need discussion:
>
> * COLLECTIONS-238 - Allowing ExtendedProperties to have empty values.
> ie) "foo="  would result in a key of foo existing.
>
> Is anyone concerned about backwards compatibility with that? I'm happy
> with it - it seems to me that it is how that should have worked, and
> people shouldn't be commenting out by removing the value rather than
> putting a comment in front.
>
> * Serializable - COLLECTIONS-240, COLLECTIONS-285, COLLECTIONS-221,
> COLLECTIONS-267, COLLECTIONS-266. Basically we need some Serializable
> test love.
>
> * COLLECTIONS-265 is ready for committing. So any nay-sayers, speak
> now or reopen later.
>
> * Specifically for James Carman - how does Dave's patch to your
> COLLECTIONS-194 look?
>

> Hen

Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: [collections] 3.3 issues

Posted by Dave Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
On 19/03/2008, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:

> On 3/19/08, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  * Specifically for James Carman - how does Dave's patch to your
> >  COLLECTIONS-194 look?
>
> I would rather see it with the nopTransformer(), personally.  This
> would remove the null checks from the implementation method (the one
> that takes all of the parameters).  I actually had this code lying
> around and I don't know why I didn't do the work to patch it myself.

I have updated the patch to include James's suggested improvements.

Cheers,
Dave

Re: [collections] 3.3 issues

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On 3/19/08, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a peek at some of the interesting issues in the 3.3 TODO list
>  that need discussion:
>
>  * COLLECTIONS-238 - Allowing ExtendedProperties to have empty values.
>  ie) "foo="  would result in a key of foo existing.

It's not just that the key exists, it actually points to an empty
string.  This is useful for HSQLDB (uses empty string password I
believe).