Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by IgniteDotnetUser <Np...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/11 15:22:05 UTC

Ignite Java server with .net client limitations

I am trying a POC with ignite. I have a Java ignite server and want to use
ignite.net on the client side on the UI. I have come across a few major
limitations and want to make sure I am not missing something w.r.t these:

Thin clients:
1) thinclients do not support continuous queries.

Thick clients:
1) there is no way to have a Java ignite server with .net thick client if we
want to use continuous query with filter.
2) cache invokes are not possible.

My usecase is pretty simple. I want to be able to request filtered data from
Java ignite server and be able to listen to updates on it.

Please let me know if I am missing something and if the above are possible.

If not, can you please share if they are planned for a future release. If
you can share the release date as well, that would be great.

Is there any workaround in the mean time that can be used?

Re: Ignite Java server with .net client limitations

Posted by Ilya Kasnacheev <il...@gmail.com>.
Hello!

Yes, you can invoke Java services from .net:
https://apacheignite-net.readme.io/docs/calling-java-services

I'm not sure about vice versa, but if it is supported they could notify
your service from Java when there is data update.

Ilya Kasnacheev

Posted by IgniteDotnetUser <Np...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ilya Kasnacheev <il...@gmail.com>.
Hello!

You can ask your Java backend side to implement Ignite Services with some
defined API, and you can call those services from .Net thick client much
like any native API.

Please consider this approach.

Ilya Kasnacheev

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@apache.org>.
> You can do that on a Linux server using Mono

Mono is not officially supported, and I won't recommend it.
Use .NET Core instead to run Ignite.NET on Linux.

>  some pre-defined filters in ignite which just accept some parameters and
are understood by both Java and .net

We actually had something like this in mind.
A predicate builder of some sort that produces and expression tree which
can be executed by Java server node.
This will allow predicates from any language and client.
But this never got implemented.

Can you please describe your use case in more detail? Why is it a problem
to run Ignite.NET server nodes? They don't have any limitations.

Posted by Stephen Darlington <st...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Stephen Darlington <st...@gridgain.com>.
Invoke and the continuous query filters both mean sending code from the client to the server. The Java server does not, of course, understand the CLR.

If you want to run .net code on your server, you need to run the ignite.net server. You can do that on a Linux server using Mono.

Regards,
Stephen