Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2020/05/01 14:55:47 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Problem new virtual host

On 4/30/20 3:39 PM, Stephen wrote:
> I have a standard LAMP for development.
>
> I set up a new virtual host about once every two years and always struggle.
>
> I have added the web site to my hosts file and direct to my server. I
> have a dozen entries.
>
> I have updated my virtual hosts Apache file
>
> I can ping the new virtual host just fine.

>   This site can’t be reached
>
> *www.roissystudiotest.ca*refused to connect.

These error messages don't indicate an Apache configuration problem, but
a network problem. That is, "refused to connect" means the problem
exists *before* it ever talked to Apache.

So the problem is (almost certainly) one of the following:

* Name doesn't map to right IP address
* Server is not running on that particular IP address (ie, is shut down,
on wrong port)
* Firewall doesn't permit connecting to :80 on that particular IP address

The fact that you can "ping" it seems to point to options 2 or 3 in that
list.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
http://rcbowen.com/

Re: [users@httpd] Problem new virtual host

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Fri, May 1, 2020, 17:22 @lbutlr <kr...@kreme.com> wrote:

> On 01 May 2020, at 08:55, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> > The fact that you can "ping" it seems to point to options 2 or 3 in that
> list.
>
> Maybe. Ping doesn’t require DNS.

Sure. If you have the mapping in your host file as indicated. That was more
shorthand for "the ip address is wrong" which seems not to be the case.

Re: [users@httpd] Problem new virtual host

Posted by "@lbutlr" <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 01 May 2020, at 08:55, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> The fact that you can "ping" it seems to point to options 2 or 3 in that list.

Maybe. Ping doesn’t require DNS.

--
I WILL STOP TALKING ABOUT THE TWELVE INCH PIANIST Bart chalkboard Ep.
	3F07