Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Colin Sharples [DATACOM]" <Co...@datacom.co.nz> on 2010/02/10 21:56:22 UTC

com.ctc.wstx.exc.WstxEOFException

I have an Axis2 web service that was working fine, but in the last
couple of days has started misbehaving. Every now and then, the client
gets a com.ctc.wstx.exc.WstxEOFException when calling
OperationClient.execute().  The exception detail says: "Unexpected EOF
in prolog at [row,col {unknown-source}]: [1,0]"

The stack trace showed the fault occurred in
org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.handleResponse(),
just after AxisEngine.receive().

I put some debugging into my service class, and it is clear that the
incoming request never gets into the service, which suggests that it is
the request from the client that is faulty.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Colin Sharples

Solutions Architect | Datacom Systems & Integration

Email: Colin.Sharples@datacom.co.nz | Mob: +64-27-457-6628

RE: com.ctc.wstx.exc.WstxEOFException

Posted by "Colin Sharples [DATACOM]" <Co...@datacom.co.nz>.
Not easily, as it is commercially confidential.

It seems to have resolved itself now. I had renamed a field in one of the domain objects, but the schema in the WSDL was still referring to the old field name. I changed the schema to use the correct field name, and now the generated client works every time.

What I want to know now is, why did it work at all!! How did it manage to return the correct result some of the time, but not all the time? Weird.

Thanks anyway.

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:47:49 +1300
From: Colin.Sharples@datacom.co.nz
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org

No, I'm pretty sure this is a problem in the generated client. When I used tcpmon, I couldn't get the error at all. I don't get the error when calling the web service from SoapUI, nor from the Eclipse Web Services Test explorer.

I wrote a standalone Java program using the generated client stub to call the web service 10 times. It fails every second call, i.e. 5 out of the 10 calls fail, every time I run the program.

I'm pretty sure I didn't specify broken="true" when I generated the client:

    <taskdef name="wsdl2java" classname="org.apache.axis2.tool.ant.AntCodegenTask">

        <classpath>

            <fileset dir="${axis2-lib}" includes="*.jar"/>

        </classpath>

    </taskdef>

    <target name="gen-wsdl-client-sch">

        <wsdl2java wsdlfilename="ScheduleService.wsdl" packagename="nz.co.datacom.foo" databindingname="jibx" synconly="true" serverside="false" generateservicexml="false" unwrap="false" targetsourcefolderlocation="../Client/src" overwrite="true">

            <parameter name="bindingfile" value="binding.xml"/>

        </wsdl2java>

    </target>

I'm just using the client stub generated by wsdl2java unchanged.

I have an Axis2 web service that was working fine, but in the last couple of days has started misbehaving. Every now and then, the client gets a com.ctc.wstx.exc.WstxEOFException when calling OperationClient.execute().  The exception detail says: "Unexpected EOF in prolog at [row,col {unknown-source}]: [1,0]"

The stack trace showed the fault occurred in org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.handleResponse(), just after AxisEngine.receive().

I put some debugging into my service class, and it is clear that the incoming request never gets into the service, which suggests that it is the request from the client that is faulty.

I think it gets this exception when it try to parse the response. see the response message. You can use tcpmon[1] for that.

thanks,
Amila.

[1] http://ws.apache.org/commons/tcpmon/download.cgi

--