Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dan Rabe <da...@workday.com> on 2017/08/30 20:46:21 UTC

RewriteValve and the ROOT webapp

I’m using Tomcat 8.5.20, trying to use the rewrite valve to rewrite a root-level URL (/foo) to a URL in my webapp (/mywebapp/bar).

I added the rewrite valve to my server.xml, and I put my rewrite.config in conf/Catalina/localhost.

This all works great IF I create an empty “ROOT” directory in webapps. If I remove the ROOT directory, though, accessing /foo just gives me a 404.

Questions:

  1.  Is this by design, or is this a bug? (If it’s by design, then some additional notes in the documentation would be helpful).
  2.  If in fact I do need to have the ROOT webapp, what security precautions should I take? Security guides such as https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Securing_tomcat recommend removing the ROOT webapp, but without providing reasons or rationale.

Thank you!
--Dan Rabe

Re: RewriteValve and the ROOT webapp

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Mark,

On 8/30/17 5:03 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 30/08/17 21:46, Dan Rabe wrote:
>> I’m using Tomcat 8.5.20, trying to use the rewrite valve to
>> rewrite a root-level URL (/foo) to a URL in my webapp
>> (/mywebapp/bar).
>>
>> I added the rewrite valve to my server.xml, and I put my
>> rewrite.config in conf/Catalina/localhost.
>>
>> This all works great IF I create an empty “ROOT” directory in
>> webapps. If I remove the ROOT directory, though, accessing /foo
>> just gives me a 404.
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1.  Is this by design, or is this a bug? (If it’s by design, then
>> some additional notes in the documentation would be helpful).
>
> It is by design. See section 12.1 of the Servlet 3.1
> specification. Particularly the first paragraph.
>
> The Tomcat docs deliberately try to avoid repeating information
> that is in the Servlet specification.
>
>> 2.  If in fact I do need to have the ROOT webapp, what security
>> precautions should I take? Security guides such as
>> https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Securing_tomcat recommend
>> removing the ROOT webapp, but without providing reasons or
>> rationale.
>
> Yes, it would help if OWASP explained their rationale.

I believe the OWASP rationale is that Tomcat ships with a ("welcome to
Tomcat") ROOT web app that is simply unnecessary, and unnecessary
things should be removed from production systems.

They obviously aren't explaining that there is nothing wrong with
having *a* ROOT webapp... it's just that the *default* ROOT webapp
should be removed for production.

> The simplest, and safest, approach would be to deploy your own,
> completely empty ROOT web application (just a dir named "ROOT" in
> webapps will be fine). Tomcat will handle the 404 for you in that
> case.

Our production builds always include a generated ROOT webapp that
includes absolutely nothing other than a trivial WEB-INF/web.xml. This
allows Tomcat to return a 404 response instead of a "400 Bad Request"
for any requests that don't map to a valid context path.

(Aside: I think it's probably not appropriate for Tomcat to return 400
in these cases... if the URL can't be mapped to a context, that should
be a 404 response, not a 400, since the request itself was valid.)

- -chris

Re: RewriteValve and the ROOT webapp

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 30/08/17 21:46, Dan Rabe wrote:
> I’m using Tomcat 8.5.20, trying to use the rewrite valve to rewrite a root-level URL (/foo) to a URL in my webapp (/mywebapp/bar).
>
> I added the rewrite valve to my server.xml, and I put my rewrite.config in conf/Catalina/localhost.
>
> This all works great IF I create an empty “ROOT” directory in webapps. If I remove the ROOT directory, though, accessing /foo just gives me a 404.
>
> Questions:
>
>   1.  Is this by design, or is this a bug? (If it’s by design, then some additional notes in the documentation would be helpful).

It is by design. See section 12.1 of the Servlet 3.1 specification.
Particularly the first paragraph.

The Tomcat docs deliberately try to avoid repeating information that is
in the Servlet specification.

>   2.  If in fact I do need to have the ROOT webapp, what security precautions should I take? Security guides such as https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Securing_tomcat recommend removing the ROOT webapp, but without providing reasons or rationale.

Yes, it would help if OWASP explained their rationale.

The simplest, and safest, approach would be to deploy your own,
completely empty ROOT web application (just a dir named "ROOT" in
webapps will be fine). Tomcat will handle the 404 for you in that case.

Mark

Re: RewriteValve and the ROOT webapp

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
On 30.08.2017 22:46, Dan Rabe wrote:
> I’m using Tomcat 8.5.20, trying to use the rewrite valve to rewrite a root-level URL (/foo) to a URL in my webapp (/mywebapp/bar).
>
> I added the rewrite valve to my server.xml, and I put my rewrite.config in conf/Catalina/localhost.
>
> This all works great IF I create an empty “ROOT” directory in webapps. If I remove the ROOT directory, though, accessing /foo just gives me a 404.
>
> Questions:
>
>    1.  Is this by design, or is this a bug? (If it’s by design, then some additional notes in the documentation would be helpful).
>    2.  If in fact I do need to have the ROOT webapp, what security precautions should I take?

The same as you take with any other webapp.  There is nothing really special about the
ROOT webapp, except that it responds to the URI "/", but is located under
(catalina_base)/webapps/ROOT/.
You can replace this easily with your own application, which will then respond to a
request for "/". See :
https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_make_my_web_application_be_the_Tomcat_default_application.3F

Security guides such as https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Securing_tomcat recommend removing
the ROOT webapp, but without providing reasons or rationale.

Indeed there is no particular reason (in terms of security). The only "reason" which I can
think of, is that the standard distribution of tomcat (from https://tomcat.apache.org)
includes a default ROOT webapp with some information page and a few links, and you
probably don't want to provide /this/ application as the default application on a
productive website (you would probably want yours instead).  But I would imagine that the
tomcat developers do not provide there by default, an application which has (known)
security issues.

Mmm, I just realised that I am in fact just repeating what a small section of this page is
already saying :
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/security-howto.html#ROOT
(and by the way, that same page provides a whole series of tips regarding tomcat security,
and it does provides reasons for each such tip).