Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> on 2011/04/22 23:49:25 UTC

[RELEASE] Apache Cassandra 0.8.0 beta1

I am pleased to announce the release of Apache Cassandra 0.8.0 beta1.

The 0.8 series is shaping up nicely and is packed with Awesome.

For example, wouldn't it be great if you could perform major upgrades
without bringing the entire cluster to a complete stop?  Well, starting
with 0.8, backward compatible messaging means that rolling upgrades are
now possible.  Oh, and by "starting with 0.8" I mean, you'll be able to
perform rolling upgrades from your 0.7 clusters.

Ever wanted counters?  Of course you have!

How about encryption of inter-node data?  Hell yes.

Is it getting Real enough for you?  No?  Would you like a couple more
rhetorical questions?  Yes?

How would you feel about a query language?  Good, because now Cassandra
is not only NoSQL, it's MoSQL.  0.8 is the debut of CQL (Cassandra Query
Language), an SQL-alike query language.  We already have language
drivers for Java (JDBC), Twisted (txcql), Python (DBAPI2), and
Node.js[6], and more are on the way!

See the change log[1] and release notes[2] for a comprehensive list of
what's new.

One last thing.  Also new for 0.8 are some changes to our release
process.  We've committed to maintaining compatibility between this beta
and any subsequent beta or release candidates, and we're aiming for a
final release in the second week of May (~3 weeks).  This should make
this phase easier and less drawn out for everyone, so please,
download[4] the new beta and report any problems you find.

Thanks!

[1]: http://goo.gl/JdCiF (CHANGES.txt)
[2]: http://goo.gl/a7tto (NEWS.txt)
[3]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA
[4]: http://cassandra.apache.org/download
[5]: http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/DebianPackaging
[6]: https://github.com/racker/node-cassandra-client

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: [RELEASE] Apache Cassandra 0.8.0 beta1

Posted by Nate McCall <na...@datastax.com>.
Indeed. This has been fixed and redeployed. Thanks Stephen.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre-Yves Ritschard <py...@milestonelab.com>.
Thanks Jonathan,

Posted by Pierre-Yves Ritschard <py...@milestonelab.com>.
I rebuilt and redeployed the packages locally, apart from the necessary
modification to /etc/cassandra/cassandra-env.sh (which is fixed in
trunk) the packages now work properly.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

Re: [RELEASE] Apache Cassandra 0.8.0 beta1

Posted by Pierre-Yves Ritschard <py...@milestonelab.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
I will be calling the release vote on dev when I get a chance.

In the meantime, the staged artifacts are at
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecassandra-114/

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mck <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On 26 April 2011 10:37, Mck <mc...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-04-22 at 16:49 -0500, Eric Evans wrote:
>> I am pleased to announce the release of Apache Cassandra 0.8.0 beta1.
>

> *Truly Awesome!*
>  CQL rocks in so many ways.
>

> Is 0.8.0-beta1 available in apache's maven repository?
>  And if not, why not?

Because i'm still validating that I have the poms minimized for the
multiple artifacts (or did you want 20million unneeded deps for the
client jars?)

Posted by Mck <mc...@apache.org>.

Re: 0.8.0 thrift api?

Posted by Kirk Peterson <ne...@gmail.com>.
The best documentation (imo) for the Thrift API, is the cassandra.thrift
file in the 'interface' subdirectory of the releas. Because cassandra.thrift
is used to generate client bindings, it is always up to date, and usually
well commented. The wiki lags behind, but sometimes will have more details
on a specific topic.

cheers,
-kirk

--
⑆gmail.com⑆necrobious⑈

Re: 0.8.0 thrift api?

Posted by Michael Fortin <mi...@m410.us>.
Thanks for the replies, Krik & Robert.  I should be able to work with that.

cheers,
Mike

Re: 0.8.0 thrift api?

Posted by Robert Jackson <ro...@promedicalinc.com>.