Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Steven Huey <st...@stevenhuey.net> on 2005/03/25 17:13:21 UTC

Rable?

Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but I haven't been able to find
the answer in the source code, javadocs, mailing list archives, or
Google - is Rable (as in the
org.apache.batik.ext.awt.image.renderable.AbstractRable class) a
shortened form of the word RENDERABLE, or is it something altogether
different? Similarly, is Red (as in the
org.apache.batik.ext.awt.image.renderable.RedRable) a shortened form of
the word RENDERED?

Thanks,
Steve

Re: Rable?

Posted by Steve Lamont <sp...@ncmir.ucsd.edu>.
>     Mostly because renderable and rendered are both long words that
> are almost identical except for the last few chars.  This just
> makes them a pain to type and easy to 'misread' because the
> important part is such a small part of the whole string.

Well, in any event, it would be nice if this found its way into the
documentation somehow.  When I first encountered things like
"AbstractRed", I went looking for "AbstractGreen", and "AbstractBlue"
as well.  [Yes, I realize that the Red-Rendered association is
inferable but only after some small amount of linguistic contortion.]

							spl

Re: Rable?

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Steve Lamont wrote:
>>    Yes, Rable is short for Renderable, Red is short for Rendered.
>
> This bugged me for a while when I was trying to figure out this
> package too.
>
> This prompts the question "why?"

    Mostly because renderable and rendered are both long words that
are almost identical except for the last few chars.  This just
makes them a pain to type and easy to 'misread' because the
important part is such a small part of the whole string.

> What was wrong with spelling the word out?
> Certainly some of the class names get a bit long but it's
> not as if we're programming in Integer BASIC on a 64K 8008 any
> longer. :-)

    The two are paired so often that the potential to misread/type
was, IMHO, an important consideration.

Re: Rable?

Posted by Steve Lamont <sp...@ncmir.ucsd.edu>.

Re: Rable?