Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by Jeff Mutonho <ej...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/04 10:06:53 UTC

Why so many directories

My top level pom defines the following modules :

<modules>
    <module>eportal-services</module>
    <module>eportal-messaging</module>
    <module>eportal-messaging-support</module>
    <module>eportal-webservices</module>
    <module>eportal</module>
  </modules>

Besides the failed build i mentioned in my previous post ,Continuum is
checking these out of CVS into a one directory , eg  50 , then it
creates other directories namely 51( containing only  module
eportal-services) , 52 ( containing only module eportal-messaging)
,53(containing only module eportal-messaging-support) ,etc

Why is this happening?

Jeff  Mutonho

GoogleTalk : ejbengine
Skype        : ejbengine
Registered Linux user number 366042

Re: Why so many directories

Posted by Mark Reynolds <sc...@tailwaggers.com>.
My experience is that with a multi-module project, you should do as
advised here by Emmanuel  delete all but the parent project builds, and
remove --non-recursive from the parent project.

Under the default scenario, where continuum tries to build each module
separately, it doesn't seem like this is perfected yet. For example, if
the project polling happens to be in progress when you check in, it may
build the sub modules in the wrong order and lead to build errors, which
must be rectified by manually rebuilding things in the proper order. Or
if you check in a change to one module, it will not automatically
rebuild the dependent modules. I assume these things will be fixed in
the future, but I don't see that there is any big advantage to having
each module built separately by continuum unless there get to be very
many modules, perhaps.

When I just have the entire build being executed from the parent pom,
like I would normally do with "mvn install" on my local machine,
everything works quite well for me.

-- Mark R

Re: Why so many directories

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.