Posted to dev@tiles.apache.org by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> on 2007/01/25 04:10:59 UTC

Problems building the showcase app

I just checked out the trunk of our new repository and tried to build it.
Building the libraries went fine, but building the showcase app uncovered a
problem ... it is looking for "
org.apache.struts:struts-tiles2:jar:1.3.6-SNAPSHOT" as a dependency, which I
don't have on this machine.  I could go download the Struts sources and
build this, but there is a bigger issue.  Shouldn't a "Standalone Tiles"
showcase application *not* require any particular framework?

Craig

Re: Problems building the showcase app

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.
I believe that the 1.3.6-SNAPSHOT is the first version with the
struts1-tiles2 integration work that Antonio has been working.  That's
the reason for the snapshot. . .Antonio will know for sure, I'm sure
he'll chime in here soon.

Until he chimes in, removing the showcase from the framework build will
at least allow tiles to build cleanly.  Sounds like those that have
chimed in so far agree with that approach, so if no one does it tonight,
I'll tackle it in the morning.

David

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

--
Wendy

Re: Problems building the showcase app

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 1/25/07, Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well the showcase app is one of those grey areas.  It's hard to showcase
> everything that Tiles can do without bringing in some bits from frameworks
> we might hook it up to.  In some ways the showcase app almost looks like a
> sandbox for exploring ideas of how you might use Tiles.

Indeed.

I definitely don't want Tiles to provide the glue code for other frameworks,
> but I don't see anything wrong with us providing (in some way) a package
> that showcases ways you might use Tiles with other frameworks.

I can see the logic of that, but can we at least make it use a non-snapshot
version (it currently asks for a Struts 1.3.6-SNAPSHOT) so you can actually
build it?  :-)

Craig

  Here are a

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 1/25/07, David H. DeWolf <dd...@apache.org> wrote:
> I think you meant:
>
> "I'd like them to be releasable, so the sandbox would NOT do it for me."
> Right?

yeah, sorry.

> I agree, let's do #1.  Sounds like we've just convinced ourselves that
> our svn repo needs to support more than one project and should be
> refactored.   I'm thinking it should be something like:
>
> tiles2/trunk
> tiles2/branches/
> tiles2/tags/
>
> maven/trunk
>
> showcase/
>
> site/
>
> Where maven/* would contain the master pom and in the future possibly
> some archetypes, etc. . .

works for me, but we might want to change showcase/ to something a wee
bit more generic like demo/ or examples/.

> The other option would be to leave the showcase where it is but not to
> include it as a module in the parent.  I think this may become confusing
> though.

yes, it would.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.
I think you meant:

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.
I think I agree.  Didn't we discuss at one time (when creating our
charter/tlp resolution perhaps?) that the glue code between tiles and
other frameworks should not be part of the tiles project, but instead a
part of the framework embedding tiles?

David

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

> On 1/24/07, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > I just checked out the trunk of our new repository and tried to build
> it.
>
> The showcase app should now build with no struts or tiles jars in your
> local repo.  (They're all available in the ASF snapshot repo.)

Yep, that worked.  Thanks!

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.