Posted to dev@guacamole.apache.org by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org> on 2017/02/23 07:33:50 UTC

[RESULT] [VOTE] Exclude @author tags from Apache Guacamole codebase

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Reading through the discussions within other ASF communities, I would
> like to start a VOTE regarding whether the @author JavaDoc / Doxygen /
> JSDoc tag should be excluded from the Guacamole codebase: removed from
> existing code, and not accepted in new code.
>
> An old discussion from the www-community list [1] describes the
> reasoning for this well:
>
> "Within the httpd and APR communities, we studiously avoid author
> tags. People have contributed patches, and we reject them until they
> remove their name(s) from the patch. Within the dev community, we
> certainly know who "knows best" about particular subjects, but there
> is zero "ownership" or territorialism in the code."
>
> Please discuss and vote. This VOTE will be open for at least 72 hours,
> and will be called by lazy consensus if no -1's are given within that
> time.
>
> Here is my +1.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Mike
>
> [1] https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-community/200306.mbox/%3C20030609234538.GA22335@lyra.org%3E

The VOTE for excluding the @author tag from the Apache Guacamole
codebase is now closed. With a total of +4 and NO -1 votes, the VOTE
passes. Overall vote breakdown is as follows:

+1 Michael Jumper
+1 Jean-Baptiste Onofré
+1 Frode Langelo
+1 Nick Couchman

Thanks to everyone who voted. I'll open a JIRA issue for removing
@author from existing code, and update the style guidelines to mention
this.

- Mike