Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2023/04/27 09:24:13 UTC

[website] FYI, tag-based navigation added to community.a.o

Hi,

I meant to activate this in a preview branch first, but that didn't
work as Hugo generates absolute URLs for the tag navigation.

So I have committed my tag-based navigation changes to our website,
you can start at https://community.apache.org/tags.html to see how it
looks.

Feedback is welcome, and if this broke anything it's easy to revert!

I have added an initial set of tags to some pages [1], feel free to
add more, trying to reuse existing tags as much as possible.

I'm a big fan of tag-based navigation, as menu-based usually only fits
a single mental model, with tags it's much easier to discover related
content.

-Bertrand

[1] https://github.com/apache/comdev-site/commit/3bb0a6382cda77f31d211e82eac5270f73d58906

Re: [website] FYI, tag-based navigation added to community.a.o

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 9:53 PM Andrew Wetmore <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...It would be great if the tags option became available in a drop-down list,
> maybe beside the search bar...

That might be a big list, but if someone wants to do that why not!

-Bertrand

Re: [website] FYI, tag-based navigation added to community.a.o

Posted by Andrew Wetmore <co...@gmail.com>.

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 1:52 PM <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2023-04-27 at 12:40 +0100, sebb wrote:
> > Now all we need is one of those electronic devices to find the tags
>
> Can you please elaborate on what this means?
>

> > On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 at 11:17, Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I just had a look and I definitely like this addition.
> > >
> > > Thanks for adding this!
> > >
> > > Roy

> https://github.com/apache/comdev-site/commit/3bb0a6382cda77f31d211e82eac5270f73d58906

Andrew Wetmore

Editor, Moose House Publications <https://moosehousepress.com/>
Editor-Writer, The Apache Software Foundation <https://apache.org/>

Re: [website] FYI, tag-based navigation added to community.a.o

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
I would put a link to the tags page in lots of places, including the top of the apache.org main page, just after
> Projects
>  <https://apache.org/#>
> People
>  <https://apache.org/#>
> Community
>  <https://apache.org/#>
> Infrastructure
>  <https://apache.org/#>
> License
>  <https://apache.org/#>
> Sponsors
>  <https://apache.org/#>
And maybe on the main comdev page https://community.apache.org/about/ just after
faq <https://community.apache.org/tags/faq.html>
navigation <https://community.apache.org/tags/navigation.html>

Craig

> On Apr 27, 2023, at 09:51, rbowen@rcbowen.com wrote:
>
> On Thu, 2023-04-27 at 12:40 +0100, sebb wrote:
>> Now all we need is one of those electronic devices to find the tags
>
> Can you please elaborate on what this means?
>

>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 at 11:17, Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just had a look and I definitely like this addition.
>>>
>>> Thanks for adding this!
>>>
>>> Roy

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: [website] FYI, tag-based navigation added to community.a.o

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 12:04 AM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...As per subsequent emails, there needs to be a way of finding the
> tags.html page from the website, rather than having to read the
> mailing list ...

I have modified the "Home" menu to point to the tags pages +
https://community.apache.org/tags/navigation.html where we can tag
pages with "navigation" to mark them as site navigation helpers.

-Bertrand

Re: [website] FYI, tag-based navigation added to community.a.o

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Thu, Apr 27, 2023, 18:04 sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As per subsequent emails, there needs to be a way of finding the
> tags.html page from the website, rather than having to read the
> mailing list ...

Oh, I see. I thought you were concerned about an exploit of some kind.
Thanks for clarifying.

Those who have suggested changes are, of course, welcome to make those
changes.

Re: [website] FYI, tag-based navigation added to community.a.o

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by rb...@rcbowen.com.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Now all we need is one of those electronic devices to find the tags index ...

Posted by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org>.