Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by sp k <sp...@hotmail.com> on 2004/04/02 05:39:37 UTC

Tomcat Site slow and stops responding after certain number of threads

We have a Tomcat site which becomes terribly slow and then stops responding
after the thread count in windows task manager reaches 107 threads. We are
using Tomcat 4.1.27 on windows 2000 machine.  Our load tests could never
emulate this behavior that occurs under real load. When the site crashes the
memory consumption of the site is less than the initial max heap size set
for it.

Did any one ever face similar issues, we are baffled as to why 107 threads?
Is related to the connector threads or JVM's garbage collection?

Does anyone have any idea why the site would crash at the same thread level?

Thanks,
Prasad

Re: Tomcat Site slow and stops responding after certain number of threads

Posted by Graham Bleach <gr...@darkskills.org.uk>.
On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:39:37PM -0500, sp k wrote:
> We have a Tomcat site which becomes terribly slow and then stops responding
> after the thread count in windows task manager reaches 107 threads. We are
> using Tomcat 4.1.27 on windows 2000 machine.  Our load tests could never
> emulate this behavior that occurs under real load. When the site crashes
> the memory consumption of the site is less than the initial max heap size
> set for it.
>
> Did any one ever face similar issues, we are baffled as to why 107 threads?
> Is related to the connector threads or JVM's garbage collection?
>
> Does anyone have any idea why the site would crash at the same thread level?

Have you checked the minProcessors and maxProcessors setting for your
connector in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml? You don't say which
connector you are using, but the Coyote connectors all have a limit on
the number of threads dedicated to connection handling.

Documentation on connector configuration:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/coyote.html

It should be logged when you reach the maximum processors, but I can't,
offhand remember where.

One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
	-- Ken Thompson

Re: Tomcat Site slow and stops responding after certain number of threads

Posted by Peter Lin <tc...@yahoo.com>.
windows by default allocates 1mb of memory per thread.
107 threads shouldn't cause any problems, unless your
system only has 128mb of ram. From first hand
experience, once the allocated memory reach half the
physical ram, windows starts to disk cache. Once that
happens, GC performance gets worse. In fact in .NET
1.0, disk caching causes heap fragmentation and memory
leaks. If disk cache is kicking in, the performance
issues may be the result of heap fragmentation, which
kills GC performance.

peter lin